Aerovoe Paint - fading?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

steved
CPL
CPL

Aerovoe Paint - fading?

Post by steved »

I painted a camouflage pattern using Aervoe paints (aerosols) about a year ago. While the truck is garaged, I daily drive it during the summer months (and any other time there is no chance for salt on the road). So it sees a fair amount of time outside.

I washed it for probably the second or third time tonight to get the spring mud and woolwax bleed off, and I noticed the black is almost gray.

Obviously that satin and flat paint can't be waxed or buffed in the conventional sense. So what is the key to getting the depth/color back?
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Aerovoe Paint - fading?

Post by PoW »

Buy Gillespie next time. Thin only with Xylene.

Faded military paint can never be restored by any method I know, and I've painted a lot of MV's.

PoW
Last edited by PoW on Mon May 22, 2023 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I painted my '37 with the semi gloss Gillespie paint, thinned with Xyline, and after sitting in the SC sun for about four years, it is a bit faded. Now it is under cover at our Heritage Foundation's hanger at the local airport. Canvas fades too. Sometimes I spot spray a place with a little rust showing or a scratch, probably what would have been done long ago in active service. Just "patina" on my truck. Hal
ez8
CPL
CPL

Post by ez8 »

It might be a form of oxidation.

The paint on my M37 has quite a bit, but it's paint is at least 40 years old. You might try rubbing a little mineral spirits on it to remove any oxidation and see how that goes. It shouldn't take off the paint if your paint has cured correctly.

My advice is to start small. Put some mineral spirits on a rag, rub the rag on a place that isn't easily visible, let dry and gauge the results.

Best of luck.
steved
CPL
CPL

Post by steved »

I found a company that sells a sealant/spray for flat and satin paints. I'm going to give that a try. It's only the black paint that has faded to a gray, the greens/browns are very "flat" and seem to be holding up fine; they actually appear to be a different finish from the black.

What I'm seeing is that it appears like it's starved of "oil" or "wax". I rubbed a little butter wax on a small spot of the bumper and it went right back to black, but it has a light "wet" shine now. I'm guessing the shine will dissipate once it gets some weather. The spray I ordered indicates that won't happen with it.
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

My son as satin black Mercedes, and uses some special "wax" to protect the finish, but not add any shine or gloss to his car's finish. One possible caution to a plan to do something similar to your truck, is that it may make it impossible to ever repaint it. Like using a pro grade sealant on a car, there is almost no way to totally remove it for a repaint or repair. Just a thought.. Enjoy your truck... Hal