CB External Speaker

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

1952m37lw
PVT
PVT

CB External Speaker

Post by 1952m37lw »

I bought a cb radio for my m37 and the speaker on the radio is too quiet to hear when driving. Does anyone have recommendations on a external 8 ohm speaker that is loud enough to hear over the transmission?
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: CB External Speaker

Post by just me »

The Motorola speaker they used in police cars works great. I've picked them up at hamfests and ebay and use them on all my ham radios.
Also, the military speaker can be made to work well. And it looks the part.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
delta31
PFC
PFC

Post by delta31 »

Is there anything that needs to be done to a military loud speaker? I have one which is a LS 454/U and it does not seem to put out much sound
when used with something other than a military radio.
Thanks
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

They need to be impedence matched. I typically unwire the coil and passive volume control and go direct to the speaker.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

In other words, you need to bypass the matching transformer, and connect directly to the voice coil terminals on the speaker.

Those little blast-proof speakers are 8-Ohm impedance, fine for use with your CB rig.

I'd leave the transformer in place just in case you want to restore it down the road.

PoW
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

I've used the GI Speaker with new guts in it. If you can find a loud speaker like mentioned above like a used Radio Shack one or the Motorola as mentioned then you can put the guts from that speaker into the GI speaker and you're good to go.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!