Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

investig8
CPL
CPL

Trailering with Uhaul

Post by investig8 »

Good Morning All,
Does anyone have any experience towing the M37 with a standard U-haul car hauler? Their website states a maximum load of 5290 lbs. and my M37 without a winch is listed as 5687 lbs. I'm wondering if they build in a safety factor of 5 or 10%? Sure don't want to have a breakdown on the road because I was stupid and overloaded the trailer...
Dennis
Investig8
1953 M-37
1952 M-38
ez8
CPL
CPL

Re: Trailering with Uhaul

Post by ez8 »

I have not, but given that the stated capacity is less than the load you are planning to carry it would seem to me that if you do run into trouble you are setting yourself up to assume all liability for it. I would bet that U-haul is quite familiar with "settling" these types of issues.

I would factor that into your risk assessment.
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

ez8 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:58 am I have not, but given that the stated capacity is less than the load you are planning to carry it would seem to me that if you do run into trouble you are setting yourself up to assume all liability for it. I would bet that U-haul is quite familiar with "settling" these types of issues.

I would factor that into your risk assessment.
Especially since you have no idea how the previous renter abused the trailer.
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

The U-Haul trailer rating is, as has been pointed out, more of a liability rating than an actual equipment limitation. If you're over limit and have an accident, you could end up without physical damage or liability insurance coverage.

I own a SureTrac double-axle car hauler with a 9,990 pound GVWR rating (so actual payload is about 8,000 lbs. after deducting the weight of the trailer), and the U-Haul car haulers seem to be of much heavier construction, so I doubt their trailer is going to fail with 6,000 lbs. of payload.

I'd be more concerned with the tow vehicle and hitch setup than the trailer. A half-ton pickup, especially the currently popular crew cabs, don't really have the payload and tow capacity for a 2,000 lbs.+ trailer and 6,000 lbs. of M37. And an equalizing hitch is a really good idea, if not a requirement of the truck manufacturer, when pushing above 5,000 lbs. towed.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
investig8
CPL
CPL

Post by investig8 »

Thanks to all who commented... Especially the liability discussion, I hadn't fully considered that. My son-in-law has a car hauler trailer but and I believe its GVWR is 7500 lbs., and I would have to pull it with a Nissan Armada. I'm beginning to think that perhaps I should consider that famous quote, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it..."
Thanks again,
Dennis
Investig8
1953 M-37
1952 M-38
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

U-haul will look up the weights and capacities of tow and towed. And probably won't rent the dolly to you.
They've been at it for a while and have a good idea of what works and doesn't.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

investig8 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:42 pm Thanks to all who commented... Especially the liability discussion, I hadn't fully considered that. My son-in-law has a car hauler trailer but and I believe its GVWR is 7500 lbs., and I would have to pull it with a Nissan Armada. I'm beginning to think that perhaps I should consider that famous quote, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it..."
Thanks again,
Dennis
I'm not familiar with the payload and towing specs on the Armada, but it's basically a full-size SUV on a half-ton chassis.

Having done a fair bit of towing and hauling of machinery and vehicles, I wouldn't attempt to tow my M37 with anything less than a 3/4-ton truck.

If this trip is a one-time, one-way project, perhaps one of the hotshot truckers would be a better bet? U-ship.com or similar might be helpful.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
investig8
CPL
CPL

Post by investig8 »

Thanks again for the ensight... All points were very important and as a result, I probably avoided a catastrophe :shock: It is so nice to be able to query the masses before doing something stupid!!
Thanks to all,
Dennis
Investig8
1953 M-37
1952 M-38
investig8
CPL
CPL

Re: Trailering / Towing

Post by investig8 »

Expanding on the whole towing issue, how about flat towing an M-37? Does anyone have experience with that? I'm talking short distances, perhaps up to 50 miles. I can purchase a tow bar rated high enough to handle the M-37 alot cheaper than I can a car hauler... just thinking...
Thanks,
Dennis
Investig8
1953 M-37
1952 M-38
RedUtilityTruck
PVT
PVT

Post by RedUtilityTruck »

I've never flat towed anything...

Years ago I realized it was an option, and began exploring more about it..

If you had a Duce and a half, then you could tow an M37... but an M37 will not flat tow well when compared to an overloaded trailer! I would not tow an M37 with a 3/4 or one ton truck due to handling issues like you have never seen before!

As it was relayed to me back when I was asking around: "Flat towing when out of fashion for a reason...."

If I was in a situation where I had to do it myself.. I would find a way to remove 600LBS from the M37, and get a U-haul to do the work, before I would flat tow...

AND despite a strong streak of self reliance, I now call a towing operator, and find out what the rate is for all of my transportation needs... ask for an off hours tow, not an emergency tow.. if you find an owner operator, they may be willing to do it at a better price.. My experience is by the time I factor in gas, time, and frustration, I am ahead of the game by having someone else move my projects around... I realize that takes some of the fun out of it... a lot of fun out of it... If this was 1985, the story would probably be different..

Just my opinion..
investig8
CPL
CPL

Post by investig8 »

LOL!! I understand completely. After my post earlier, I measured the height of the M-37 front bumper and the rear of my tow vehicle and had already decided that it would not work without considerable parts/equipment of adjust for the difference, plus mounting plates, etc... I can rent a 7500 GWVR trailer for $125... that is probably the best solution if I want to attend some of the events close by.
Thanks again for the wisdom
Dennis
Investig8
1953 M-37
1952 M-38
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

7500 GVWR is not enough. You will be on the ragged edge. (The weight of the trailer has to be added to the truck weight.)
I reengineered my trailer to 12,000 GVWR to have the cushion. The trailer running gear was really straining until I upped the wheels, axles, springs and coupler. And redoing it was WAY less expensive than buying a new trailer.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

just me wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:06 pm 7500 GVWR is not enough. You will be on the ragged edge. (The weight of the trailer has to be added to the truck weight.)
Agreed. A 10,000lbs (or heavier) GVWR trailer is better for hauling an M37. Just remember to check your state laws regarding trailer and tow vehicle ratings and license classifications. Here in Michigan, a trailer with a GVWR in excess of 10,000lbs and GCWR in excess of 26,000lbs requires a CDL endorsement on your driver's license.