Gauge wire.

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Gardy

Gauge wire.

Post by Gardy »

Hello all. Have a few questions on the wiring. I’m am getting ready to pull my front harness and rebuild it, I’m doing so I’ve been going through and labeling everything since most of the metal tags are either gone or not readable. However the wiring to the voltmeter does not align with either schematic I have for the truck. On the early schematic it shows wires 8 and 9 going from the regulator to the voltmeter. On the late model schematic it shows a single wire coming from the spider harness. My truck seems to be different however, I have one wire going to the voltmeter going into the main harness. I have yet to find where this goes by tracing with a DMM. Does anyone have any insight on this?
Attachments
BD6B5339-20AD-4964-BE32-818C76B0B233.jpeg
BD6B5339-20AD-4964-BE32-818C76B0B233.jpeg (152.28 KiB) Viewed 366 times
maxpearcy
PVT
PVT

Re: Gauge wire.

Post by maxpearcy »

I am working through the front harness as well. Others will be more knowledgeable on the topic but from what I understand the move from ammeter to voltmeter would mean changing from a 4 to 5 wire spider. It looks like yours is a 4 wire so something else was done to change to the voltmeter.
Gardy

Post by Gardy »

maxpearcy wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:14 am I am working through the front harness as well. Others will be more knowledgeable on the topic but from what I understand the move from ammeter to voltmeter would mean changing from a 4 to 5 wire spider. It looks like yours is a 4 wire so something else was done to change to the voltmeter.
This is already a voltmeter however. It works as well, but only has the one wire, not connected to the spider harness. That’s why I’m confused on this one haha
maxpearcy
PVT
PVT

Post by maxpearcy »

Can you read the number on the metal tag? It might hold a clue. If it says 40 then they just used the wiring for the missing panel lights to get voltage. At least in your new harness you can just leave it out and use a 5 wire.