Lu4 winch worm shaft bearing back lash

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

delta31
PFC
PFC

Lu4 winch worm shaft bearing back lash

Post by delta31 »

When checking back lash i read that the number of gaskets is checked without the seals installed.
Is this done with the drum shaft and brass gear installed? Or do you just install the assembled worm gear shaft? Thanks
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Re: Lu4 winch worm shaft bearing back lash

Post by ashyers »

delta31,
It's not really a backlash adjustment, more of an endplay adjustment, think of it like a wheel bearing. Set it w/o the gear installed and record the # of gaskets for final assembly. There's some discrepancies regarding the actual setting. I set mine up on the tight side.

Andy
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Post by sturmtyger380 »

Are you talking about the free movement/rotation of the transmission counter shaft when meshing with the PTO gear?

That's the movement you need to be checking and can be controlled by the number of mounting gaskets between the transmission and the PTO housing.
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I didn't find it tedious to try different gasket sets to set the mesh on my LU 4 rebuild. I did it with new seals installed. Mine was on my workbench, of course. Hal
delta31
PFC
PFC

Post by delta31 »

Thanks all. I did mean end play rather than back lash. Once the number of gaskets is determined,
Did you guys use a sealant on these gaskets during final assembly? I was thinking of using something like aviation permatex as it goes on thinner tha No 2
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

no sealant, and no leaks since. Hal