My truck's new home

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

My truck's new home

Post by NAM VET »

As I have previously posted, when we moved to a smaller home in Lexington, SC, a near suburb of Columbia, it was soon apparent that it would be necessary to sell my M37. It was a bit ironic, because our new home's garage has a taller ceiling and door, and for the first time since I acquired my truck, I could actually fit it in my garage. Since '17, even when "restoring" it, it has had to sit outside in the rain and the cold and the sun.

A few weeks ago, was invited to participate in a Veteran's parade in our new city, and was greeted by members of the local American Heritage Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to vintage military vehicles, and all things associated with them. Plus, they are working to establish a Museum and Memorial to the 1942 Doolittle Raiders, who trained at the small Columbia Airport, which is about 10 miles from my new home. Lots of civic and private support for our organization. My membership is all of $125 a year, and for that, along with everything else this provides me, most notably comradeship, I have a secure place to park and if necessary, work on my truck. We have a number of "hangers' next to the airport, with a wonderful set of tools and equipment, and expertise and talent and friendship for maintaining our vehicles. Again, a few days ago, they transported my and other vehicles about 40 miles to a small town, where countless thousands of people lined the street for a civic parade; I following the spectacular Half Track.

So I am moving my own tools and spares and such to my parking place on the side opposite of the main "machine shop" of our primary hanger. By the way, my own truck continues to start and run perfectly, as if grateful for being out of the rain and weather. I have been welcomed into the Heritage's mission, and look forward with gratitude to the members and our mission. Here, the workside of our main hanger.

All the best.. Hal,
ImageImage
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Re: My truck's new home

Post by sturmtyger380 »

That's great Hal! Keep us updated as to your activities.

I wish I had that much room to work with. But then again it would fill up! Alan
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Hi Hal,

Very glad to hear that you found this place close to home. That is a great looking space to store and work on the truck also. The added benefit of having others to hang out with and enjoy the hobby with is priceless.

Regards,

Bert
808morgan
CPL
CPL

Post by 808morgan »

Wow very nice, I have a couple parking spots at a storage place near here but having a large covered space is just a dream here by the coast. I tend to buy high quality car covers every few years.
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

Life, not matter how old are you, doesn't stop giving surprises. To think a few weeks ago you were thinking about selling the truck and now this. Crazy.
Sebastian
(sorry, I only speak in METRIC)
Cliff
PFC
PFC

Post by Cliff »

I am very glad you decided to keep your truck and it sure looks like you have found a great bunch of guys to hang out with and enjoy the military vehicle hobby.
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

This is turning out to be a great experience for me. I was out again yesterday, about 15 minutes door to door, this time just me. A few days ago, was there with about three other members, and they suggested we drive the several blocks over to the US Property Disposal Yard, for a look-see. All sorts of stuff there, from pallets of lap tops, crates of ammo boxes or blankets, big kitchen stuff, HUMVEE's, fork lifts, Harbor Patrol boats, just every sort of no longer needed Ex-goverment stuff. Our Heritage Foundation can buy any of it, Pennys on the dollar, and our big "hanger" is full of tool chests, parts washers, hoists, lathes, welding stuff, fork lifts, sand blasters, and more. We looked over some mint Highway Patrol SUV's and cars, radio's out, cheap, and laughed that maybe we need to get one for our "Foundation Police Force." The government always retains ultimate ownership so a civilian can't buy any of this stuff, only other Non-Profits and other agencies and things like our registered Heritage Foundation can.

Didn't buy anything for our hanger, and when we went back to our shop, mentioned I was looking on Craig's List for a tool cabinet, they said "..just use that one there", so rolled a big industrial tool cabinet over to my truck's parking place, and I am now cleaning it out, and have a nice Ex-government tool cart.

So all good here in UpState SC. hal
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Nice update Hal!
We're handling all the precip coming over from California-rain to snow to rain to snow....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500