Forum open to everybody

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Forum open to everybody

Post by Argie1978 »

So I guess this will appear weird after all this time this forum has been online but I think is still valid: why everyone has free access to its content?
I don't need to be registered to know all about what has been posted here. To read all topics. To see all pics (truck plates included), to see al data from users, opinions, where they live, etc. To get info without any kind of retribution/contribution.
Why there's a (sometimes) tricky question when registering when one can freely access, navigate all instances of the site and leave without trace?
I am suggesting that the forum should be closed to outsiders only to allow access to non-registered people to, perhaps, the Soap Box section?
Sebastian
(sorry, I only speak in METRIC)
ez8
CPL
CPL

Re: Forum open to everybody

Post by ez8 »

So what?

Ours is a hobby of shrinking members and we should welcome anyone who wants to come in freely. As long as the forums aren't being crudded up with spam what's the harm of being as open as we are? Plenty of other MV sites are like that. G503, Steel Soldiers, M715zone...

If the info you have on these trucks is so valuable that you don't want to share it, why not open your own shop and charge for it?
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

I've not seen any problems with the forum as-is. I assume you have to be registered to post, which I think is as it should be.
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hello All,
First, thanks Sebastian for raising this topic. EZ8 and John, thanks for your thoughts as well.

When the first iteration of this forum under "Big Electric" was formed in the 1990s it was under the premise of comradery and mutual support-just some guys and gals with a common love of the M37 Dodge family who could help each other on line if Tech Manuals and other expertise was not available. It also came with no obligations, fees, or exclusivity like Facebook, Steel Soldiers and the like. All who visited the BE site either found out the information available, or posted their many questions, just like we continue to do today with no strings attached.

3 iterations later we've lost many of the Big Electric folks to the big motor pool in the sky, or have moved on to other interests. However, today's G741.org remains dedicated to the founding principles that ALL are welcome, to stay with us on a continual basis, grab a quick answer then depart, or visit periodically-again, always welcome as past, present or future members, with no fees or obligations other than maintaining a healthy respectful dialogue when posting. Spammers are kept to a minimum-Robi, Tony, Bert and I do our very best to root out those with an ulterior motive. What other HMV forum has such members of high character who will barter and trade, sending parts here and there to other members before even receiving payment?! In many cases spare parts are even given away, to help a fellow enthusiast. You likely won't find that dedication and respect elsewhere. That's yesterday's Big Electric and today's G741 in a nutshell.

In closing, we MUST encourage new members to join our ranks or we will slowly fade away into an archive of useful information, tips and tricks with nobody maintaining contact with this group, and all of that knowledge and comradery lost forever. Insisting on registering an account to gain access defeats our purpose of growing interest in our G741 family.
Respectfully,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

This darn forum is responsible for my accumulating two M37's and a large pile of parts.

UGH!!!!!

:D
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

Is there an accessible archive of the Big Electric site?

PoW
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Not that I know of, POW. The first G741 iteration that I joined in 2004 is also not available. The current data still here dates back to 2007-brings back a lot of memories of those who used to frequently visit and post here.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

Welp,....I don't know how this post got published as the draft I saved is a bit different. Actually I was hesitant to do it. My bad.
Anyways,....
ez8 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:15 pmIf the info you have on these trucks is so valuable that you don't want to share it, why not open your own shop and charge for it?
I never proposed not to share stuff, that would be against the nature of the site. I was just thinking that only people registered, should be able to see what's behind the door. And the door can easily be open, just knock and say "hello there, I'm John from Whatever City, just bought/I want to buy an M37 and share it with you, old farts.".
Look, even the search engine is available to outsiders.

Thanks Gary for the quick rundown. And you can close the thread if you feel so or leave it open for others to express opinions.
I am a reasonable person, and I accept the rules established by and for the majority; but from time to time it's nice to raise the hand.

Sebastian
Sebastian
(sorry, I only speak in METRIC)
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

My perception of your post is no harm meant and no malice intended, Sebastian. We Mods expect inquiries on somewhat sensitive topics on occasion and make every effort to respond with a fair, informed response. I'll leave the thread open a bit longer in case anyone else wants to weigh in.
We're happy to have you with us!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W