It followed me home...

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

It followed me home...

Post by ashyers »

A search for a radiator lead to an offer from one of our local MVCC members that went like this:

"I have a nice radiator, but you'll have to take the truck with it."
M37Interior.jpg
M37Interior.jpg (161.73 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
M37Engine.jpg
M37Engine.jpg (172.88 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
M37Bed.jpg
M37Bed.jpg (169.35 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
M37inShopRF.jpg
M37inShopRF.jpg (155.72 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
M37inShopLF.jpg
M37inShopLF.jpg (153.25 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
If you look at the photos you'll see that Peter's truck got a bit warm. It was stored in a steel barn during the Napa fires some years ago. Peter and his wife were lucky to have been able to evacuate, their neighbors didn't make it. Unlike the house, the barn didn't burn down, but became a large toaster. Peter lost a number of MV's and you can see the state of the M37. Prior to the fire it was a very nice truck. I have not had a chance to check it out carefully since dragging it down to the Shop, but I think the drivetrain ahead of the rear axle is in good shape. From what I can tell the fiberglass skylight over the truck melted and fell on the canvas lighting up the rear tires and the interior. The underbelly of the truck looks fine.

It's the second M37 I know of that was burned up in the Napa fires. I'm just happy Peter and his wife made it out!

Andy
Murf
SSGT
SSGT

Re: It followed me home...

Post by Murf »

I had that same dilemma when I bought a winch setup...still attached :lol:
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Likely the truck will be parted out, which pains me, but at least it didn't go to the scrap yard. I'm hoping to find some time to give it a good once over soon and see what's salvageable. Of course, I still have to get the other M37 back on the road!
ez8
CPL
CPL

Post by ez8 »

There's nothing wrong with that truck! A lick of paint, a new tire we're good to go! :lol:

Too bad about the truck. She'll make a good donor for some other projects out there, no doubt. At least you have the space to provide a "foster home" for it so it doesn't go to scrap.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Damn Andy-that might scare away your shop class!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Gary,
It will scare some of 'em, but it will also work very well getting them acquainted with tools and the art of disassembling stubborn hardware!

I took a look at the winch yesterday and it seems to be in good shape from what I can see through the fill holes. No signs of moisture, the gear looks good and the clutch works fine. I think a tear down and reseal will get it working well. From looking at it I don't think it was used too often. I suspect the motor would run too if I hooked up the ignition and supplied some fuel.

Are there any issues with running the 100 amp system with the alternator disconnected???

Andy
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

Glad you are going to save what you can from the wreck. But I have a sense of sadness when I think of those who died I the fire, an others too, best this truck becomes anonymous so it has no reactions to the terrible fire. Keep us informed, hal
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Hal,
Fires have become the norm here in the summer and fall. There’s just very little rain and super low humidity. The area that Peter lived would burn occasionally, but less intensely and more controllably. Fires have become much more intense as conditions for them have been perfect. The one that went through Santa Rosa was an eye opener. It consumed EVERYTHING. I recall a photo of a garage slab with a nice neat row of exhaust valves sitting where the car was. They were the only part that didn’t burn up or melt!

I salute the crews who fight these blazes!

Andy
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I wouldn't think you'd have any issues with the alternator disconnected but I'm no expert on that. I know mine still works fine when running with the alternator belt off-just won't charge, of course.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Gary,
I'd ASSUME that just disconnecting at the generator it would do the trick, but somewhere in the fog of my memory I remember there were some special considerations with the 25A generators. The 100A system is just a whole lot MORE stuff, complexity and of course current! I'd prefer not to start another fire under the hood or do more damage :) !

Andy
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

I'd pressure test the radiator. It may have unsoldered itself in the fire.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

just me,
That was my first thought. Fortunately the everything ahead of the firewall did not get very hot. I plan on testing it, but any damage is likely due to just sitting for years. Visually it looks great, to the point I wonder if was replaced and never driven. Fingers crossed since getting rad work done in CA has become quite a mission :roll: .

Andy
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

Let me know if you're not planning to use that pioneer rack. ;-)

Sebastian
Sebastian
(sorry, I only speak in METRIC)
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Progress (?) Report

We removed the winch and it's completely torn down and nearly ready for reassembly. I does not appear to have been used much.There was little wear and that's good because whoever set it up had the worm gear clearances all messed up. Fortunately they didn't damage the gears. John at MWM and Dave at DC Truck parts provided the parts we needed and I look forward to having the winch assembled soon.

In addition to playing with the winch we removed the front clip and cut out the burnt up wiring. Removing some of that hardware was a bear! Once the front clip was off we started to check out the engine. The oil looked good, the dizzy still switched and the engine turned freely by hand. Then I decided we needed to have some fun. We grabbed a pair of batteries, some jumper cables, a small wire with some alligator clips, a can of brake clean and we were in business. After a few trial cranks we powered the ignition and tested to see if we were getting spark. We also checked to see if the wires were on in order (the kids took 'em off w/o thinking). Everything seemed to work, which is pretty impressive if you could see the engine compartment. It resembles the interior of a BBQ grill! Once we had everything on order and grabbed a fire extinguisher I fired some brake clean down the carburetor while one of the kids cranked the engine. It fired and ran!!!!!!! Good fun :) ! I'm not sure what went flying out the headpipe, but it looked like remnants of the mouse nest we found in the muffler, yikes!

Next we'll do some tests and see if we have a runner or a core. I'm hoping we have a runner!!!

Andy
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Wow that's hilarious, Andy! I'm sure the kids were stunned that it fired up!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W