Tailgate FS

Buy and sell M37 and related stuff

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Forum rules
Your Location must be included in your advertisement or it may removed without notice.
RCrombie
CPL
CPL

Tailgate FS

Post by RCrombie »

Located near Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Hi guys, I have an extra tailgate I would like to pass on to someone who can use it. It is a little battered and could use some tlc but is otherwise whole. Has a pioneer rack and one hinge.
I would be happy to sell it, say $200 or trade for a set of winch bumpers.
Cheers,
Rob
6BE7E1AF-C6BD-496D-9250-21BA26C69641.jpeg
6BE7E1AF-C6BD-496D-9250-21BA26C69641.jpeg (96.65 KiB) Viewed 864 times
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Re: Tailgate FS

Post by sturmtyger380 »

Nice! That's usable as is and has the tool rack. Someone better pick this one up. I have a good one that I will use. I had to make my own winch bumpers by cutting up a normal bumper and creating the curves at the edge near the winch.

Best of luck!
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

sturmtyger380 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:07 am I had to make my own winch bumpers by cutting up a normal bumper and creating the curves at the edge near the winch.
I had a local fabrication shop do the same thing for me. An easy way to make the inside curves is to split a piece of steel pipe of the appropriate diameter length-wise and weld it to to the inside edge of the bumper.

I've seen this done with a half-round piece of pipe in some pictures sent to me by Richard Gaboury, and it looked good. My fabricator actually unbent the trailing edge of the half round to straighten it out a bit and more closely mimic the shape of the stock bumper (which I believe may be closer to a 1/4 round with a bit of a straight piece pointing backwards). I appreciated his attention to detail, but if doing it again, I think the half-round method looks fine and avoids having an "edge" for the cable to scrape on.
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
RCrombie
CPL
CPL

Post by RCrombie »

Hmm that’s a good idea. I think adding the winch will be a job for after the truck is up and running so I’ll wait and see if I find any winch bumpers first. If not, then I’ll think about cutting up what I have. I know rebuilding the winch is going to be a mini project on its own.