My 1952 Dodge M37 re-building process

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Re: My 1952 Dodge M37 re-building process

Post by ashyers »

Time to verify your compression tester! If it's correct I'm surprised that thing will start.

Do you have a leak down tester?
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

ashyers wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:04 pmDo you have a leak down tester?
Haven't see it in the shop to be honest. I am returning when the radiator is arriving to test again and see.
Sebastian
(sorry, I only speak in METRIC)
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

Update on the engine:
We did a CO2 leak detection test and in a matter of seconds the reactive changed color :(
No need to also mention that it started making bubbles but, well,...the problem is there.
For sure we have pressure transmitted to the cooling system. This means A) the head gasket is bad; B) the head is nor properly aligned or C) there's a fissure in some cilindre. Hope there's no D.
I pray for option A, or B at least. I cannot imagine taking the engine out again and losing more time.

In other news I received the ETW-1 from Daytona Parts in Florida thanks to Midwest intervention. The thing looks like brand new. Astonishing.

Also made some instructions to the guys at the shop as they asked me about the support brackets for the oil bath as they didn't seem to figure out where to put them (interesting enough, it was hard to find pictures of this).

While we wait for the machine crew to come over and take a look at the engine's issue (...because guarantee), I've got a load of screws, bought 15 litres of vinegar and epoxi to start restoring this jerrycan. I even got the same year of the truck LOL.

At least just to get me distracted in the meantime.
Sebastian
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Nice updates, Sebastian!
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

The fixing of the rad's upper chamber(*). Actually it's a new chamber.

We will need to cut the cover that acts as support for the hood.
Just for information, the cap reads 10 Lbs. It was decided by the radiator shop. I currently don't have further info.
By applying a new chamber I got rid of the unusual elbow the inlet tube was holding. I mean, for some reason it wasn't original and was pointing up, making a weird curve for the water to get in. In this old picture (Oct 2021) can be noted.

Recalling this thread by Andy I took a picture of the cap to note that the upper seal rubber is not present.

On the other news, the machining crew took off the head and will work on it and see if there is a problem with the gasket they used. I will have news in about a week.

(*)I simply don't know how to call it.
Sebastian
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

It is the upper tank.

DG
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

Some update after months of complete hiatus.
New gaskets kit for the T-214. The important one is the head's but everything is useful.
As stated before, there is a chance there's a crack in one (or more) cylinders. But after removing the head when passing the finger on the it's surface, you can tell it is not straight. Very bad milling. You can see the traces of the ink that is used for checking during the process (sorry, no pic).
Well,...I cut all conversations with the shop. I ended up just paying for parts, not the job. The only good thing they did was the paint.

When checking the windshield for replacing the glass the inner frames cracked due to big corrosion. Note this part was not blasted and coated before. Not possible to be restored so new parts to look for.

Image Image

Not the best news lately.

Sebastian
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

Keep in mind your windshield frames are the same as what is on the M35 2.5 ton, M54 5-ton, and 800-series 5-ton.

Might be easier to find over there.

Just not the 900 series 5-ton.

Dennis
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

Indeed Dennis, I have already reached out to people in the US for this. As usual, the complications raise at the time of shipping. :?
Sebastian