By pass always filtering?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

By pass always filtering?

Post by NAM VET »

I seem to have read on this forum that the by-pass oil filtration on our M37's only functions with oil pressure at about 40 psi or higher. Thus, with less pressure, there is no filtering at all. Hence, I put on a switched full flow system with a heavy duty 24v oil pump mounted in the cab.

But reading this article in the vintage magazine, it suggests the OEM bypass system is always filtering. Which would be nice. I re-installed the block plunger when I re-did my engine, and when I ordered a spare from one of our vendors, it was different. So Chrysler must have used different plungers in different systems back then, and perhaps the army wanted something unique.

But does anyone here know if our system really does filter at all pressures? Here is the magazine article. I guess I could loosen the filter connections to see it it leaks and see for myself. Messy.... hal

https://www.militarytrader.com/mv-101/s ... e=hs_email

\
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Re: By pass always filtering?

Post by refit1701 »

I've always been told they don't filter continuously. But then the internet is often mistaken.
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Re: By pass always filtering?

Post by NAM VET »

the pressure plunger that came out of my truck and I reinstalled was different than the one I got from a vendor. So perhaps the military wanted a different filtration system for a combat vehicle than one set up for a civilian car's power plant. I think one of these days I will loosen a connection and see it if is pressurized. Right now, I need to adjust my brake pad clearances. Always something. hal