MECO spark plugs, DON'T BUY THEM

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

MECO spark plugs, DON'T BUY THEM

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Hey everyone, been a while. I just got a prompt to look at a post concerning engine timing and thought I'd share this. Recently we had an encounter with knock off spark plugs labeled MECO, which is Memphis Equipment Co. Since Auto-Lite spark plugs went obsolete, Memphis apparently has had these import repops made to look like the Auto-Lite plugs. Several of the military vendors have teamed up with Memphis to sell these. I'll share our experience with them. We installed 4 new ones in a newly rebuilt M151A1 engine a few months back and just couldn't get it to run right at all. We went back double checking all the engine systems looking for a problem and after a couple of days of looking, found nothing. Basically at wits end we decided to change out the plugs for a new set of Champion water-proof plugs we had on the shelf. Fired up the engine and WOW; purred like a kitten without a single issue. I got in touch with the vendor I got them from, he did take them back and gave me a refund. He said he had one other customer that described the same issues we had. Since then 2 different people have called me with similar engine problems, one that couldn't get his newly rebuilt engine to act right. Described the same issues we had experienced; so I asked him if by chance he installed MECO plugs. He got quiet, then said yes that's what he had used. He had mentioned he too had a set of Champions on his shelf. I suggested he change them out and install the Champions, like magic his problems went away just like ours did. Yesterday I got an email from a guy talking about the exact same issues, same MECO plugs. Haven't heard any feedback from him yet concerning how changing them out went. By now the vendors know these are no good, yet they keep right on selling them. That I do not understand. I won't call the names of vendors selling this CRAP, but I strongly suggest if anyone is ordering plugs from any of the usual military vendors, you should ask if they are selling MECO water-proof spark plugs, they are simply NO GOOD. There is actually a good news front with the Champion water-proof spark plugs; they are available locally to everyone at a very good price. You can send me a PM and I'm happy to tell you where you can get them. Champion plugs are really good, we have had 0 issues.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
U404S
PFC
PFC

Re: MECO spark plugs, DON'T BUY THEM

Post by U404S »

Thank you Charles! Jerry
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

That is great news for us, I've had Champion installed for a bit now. Thanks Charles!
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

Memphis is an honorable outfit, I'm sure they will make it right across the board.

Prince o' Weird
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Thanks, Charles.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Yes I'm quite certain no one intended to end up with bad parts, but the fact does remain that these have been sold for a while now. Bad experiences with them are becoming more numerous quickly. As far as I know, none of the vendors are pulling them from their lines and continue to sell them. As I said I simply don't understand why anyone would do that once they know there is a problem. For myself, once I realized the issues they are causing, I wouldn't sell another one. It's quite obvious though that not everyone feels that way.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Nice to see you on line Charles!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Hi, I think of you folks often. Busy times at the shop and we've been short handed by 2 employees for several months. It's been tough; expect to have one position filled in a couple of weeks, still have another to work on. Specialty employees are hard to come by.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

AdvanceAuto also stocks these Champion plugs online.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

MSeriesRebuild wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:21 am Hi, I think of you folks often. Busy times at the shop and we've been short handed by 2 employees for several months. It's been tough; expect to have one position filled in a couple of weeks, still have another to work on. Specialty employees are hard to come by.
We appreciate your insights on so many levels! You just need to hire some old-timers who know these trucks, Charles!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Well it isn't quite that simple. We do so many upgrade things to most of the trucks. We need people that can service the common stuff, but we also need a person who can visualize what needs to happen with upgrades such as designing and building engine brackets, brackets for the other systems we put in place, this is just numerous on almost every truck. It has to look like its suppose to be there, and it has to be done right so there is NO question as to whether it holds up. Service work here is very different from just turning wrenches on the typical M37.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

Concur with that, for me, even "turning wrenches" is sometimes fraught with terror. hal
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Post by sturmtyger380 »

MSeriesRebuild wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:17 am It has to look like its suppose to be there
That rules out those Buba changes we see on our trucks! :lol:
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Yes sir, we don't operate in accordance with Bubba guidelines around here; we do have trucks come in fairly often he has touched though.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
deltaracer

Post by deltaracer »

Thanks for all the info on the spark plugs, I got a set at O"Reilly's
1963 M151
1964 M416
1963 M37B1