Super nice M37 auction on Auto Hunter

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

michaelbfriedman

Super nice M37 auction on Auto Hunter

Post by michaelbfriedman »

New here. Looking at my first m37. Just bid on one on auto hunter but reserve was not met.

Was anyone else bidding on it?

https://autohunter.com/Listing/Details/ ... ower-Wagon

I am in Texas BTW. Thank you for the forum!!
Searching for my first M37
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Re: Super nice M37 auction on Auto Hunter

Post by refit1701 »

wow, that's a lot of cash. If it's what it seems to be, I guess it's fair. It does have nearly every optional thing on it.
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
michaelbfriedman

Post by michaelbfriedman »

Thank you for the reply. They want 30k for it. Reserve wasn’t met.
New to the m37 but love them. Cousin has one sighting on a Tahoe chassis.

I am going to keep looking and researching.
Searching for my first M37
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

michaelbfriedman,
Did you catch that beaut?
$$ was up there, but a solid truck with lots of goodies.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Murf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Murf »

30k :lol:
No m37 in any condition has gone that high. For a company to restore one of these things is just plain bad business sense. The time and $$ spent on a restoration is always going to be more than it will be worth. These are hobbyists trucks (us). We don't compute or hours. We absorb costs at our own pace. We don't care what it's worth monetarily. Heck, if anyone reading this wants a running, partially restored/assembled truck for 29k give me a shout.. :lol: :lol:
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I think the "experts" always say it is far less expensive to buy a vehicle already "restored" than pay for a restoration yourself. I am sure I would get at most maybe half of what I have in my own M37. And other than some things I did it mostly by myself. When I bought it I thought just some paint and I was good to go. Not hardly. I suspect "all in" for my own finally perfect truck, I have close to $35K+ in it. Not to mention many hundreds of hours.

Hal
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

Murf wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:10 pmNo m37 in any condition has gone that high....
I completely agree with you on every word you wrote, but last year an M37 in Glendale, AZ was sold for $66.000 USD.
Those figures are hard to believe, unless it was a scam or some fake auctioning. But I saw the website and the truck (solid restoration, perhaps the best I've ever seen...).
I'll post the info tomorrow. It's late here.

Sebastian
Sebastian
(sorry, I only speak in METRIC)
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

As promised....
If you go to CLASSIC.COM these guys have a very nice historical database about the market of lots of vehicles. So you can check for things like what is the model's year that people offers the most online, average mileage, locations, highest/lowest sale price achieved and so on.
Pretty cool, the only problem is that auctions shown are way to high usually.

So, as written before, checking for model year 1953, a truck was sold for 66.000 dollars in Arizona......

Yes, as there is people asking whatever they can imagine for a vehicle, there's also people willing to pay for it.

There is no current photo in the page, but I can assume is this one, because I remember following that auction in another site and I fell in love instantly...

To be honest, this is my goal on my current restoration (yes, it's gonna take looong....). Only doubt is applying a glossy painting. :|

Sebastian
Sebastian
(sorry, I only speak in METRIC)
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I painted my '52 M37 with Gillespie semi-gloss 24087 oil based paint about five years ago. 'That paint really isn't "spec" for my truck, being a later army spec paint. My truck sits outside in SC, and it has faded quite a bit. In retrospect, I think I should have (and may someday) painted it with the "gloss" paint, and I am sure that would hold up better. I tried to keep and make my truck original, mostly, unless some upgrade was beneficial. But since I don't show my truck for original judging, and at the occasional car show I participate in folks wouldn't have any idea of originality, a less faded and more glossy paint would be even more stunning. When I mount my m1919 30 cal it is a real crowd pleaser.

Here and there I have sanded a few spots, and repainted with spray can 24087, pretty much like a motor pool truck. It doesn't match when I do so.

In summary, a glossy truck is even more eye catching than a faded one to those unfamiliar with them. Maybe those who have the glossy paint can comment on the durability of their color. Hal
Dicktater
CPL
CPL

Post by Dicktater »

I found my truck on classic.com it's the fourth one down from the top, you can't miss it painted Cat yellow. The list seems to be current I sold mine back in July on bring a trailer $15,750 thought I got good money for it. Maybe broke even with the time involved but had much fun the 21 years I owned it.

As far as painting using gloss paint goes it's much easier to keep clean if you use your truck as it's meant to be used (off road) my truck was painted 21 years ago and held up very well, just don't skimp on the primer that you use, I used Dupont 2k primer $$$$$
investig8
CPL
CPL

Post by investig8 »

Good afternoon to all,
I just wanted to throw in my two-cents worth regarding the price of these vehicles. Having recently completed my restoration, I can attest that one can purchase a really nice truck for less than he can put in one during restoration... and that doesn't count the time. However, I have to say that during the pandemic, my truck kept me sane and busy. Staying home didn't bother me because the only place I wanted to be was in the driveway working on her. Now that she is completed, I have taken her to a few car shows and static displays and the absolute joy I get from showing her off and answering questions for those who have never even seen one of these is immeasurable. Not to mention the happiness that I get knowing she didn't end up being recycled! I had so much fun with the M-37, I recently bought an M-38 to restore, which keeps me happy!!
Have a great weekend!
Dennis
Investig8
1953 M-37
1952 M-38
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Great feedback All-thanks!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W