The tale of three trucks...

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Travlr
PVT
PVT

The tale of three trucks...

Post by Travlr »

I saw three M37 Power Wagons sitting in a field several years ago and immediately wanted one, but the neighbor said the owners lived in Nebraska and only made occasional appearances. He had a number, but the number wasn't any good. I was driving by a couple of weeks ago and saw someone.

Long story short, I asked if he had any interest in selling, he said he did but no one made any decent offers (Utah, everything you own is s**t, everything they own is gold), and I asked him why he didn't set the price?

He did, and I bought all three trucks.

They look better in my back yard, don't you think?

The red one is a 1958 and was used as a fire truck for brush and forest fires. It has abut 30K miles on it. It's complete as far as I know and I LOVE the patina. I have plans for it. The truck will be refitted with a new drivetrain and suspension and it will get the aftermarket, ugly fiberglas hardtop from one of the other trucks.
20210927_124604.jpg
20210927_124604.jpg (55.77 KiB) Viewed 5643 times
The ragtop is a 1961 B1 which is missing the tailgate and the driver side tire mount, but still has the pin latch. The truck only has about 10K miles showing on the odometer and I'm pretty sure it is accurate. The truck was owned by the county and used for weed control. I'm going to be selling this truck as soon as it starts. The oil is pristine clean after sitting since 2003 and other than fresh gas, oil and topping off the coolant I expect to only have to replace the batteries.
20210927_124553.jpg
20210927_124553.jpg (59.83 KiB) Viewed 5643 times
The hardtop is a 1953 which was also used for weed control by the county. It is supposed to have a freshly rebuilt engine in it. Although it is the oldest truck it seems to be in the best shape. The hardtop kept the seats nice, but overall the truck just seems less worn. It has about 27K miles on it. It is also missing the tailgate. As soon as I get the top off and get it started it will also be for sale.
20210927_124539.jpg
20210927_124539.jpg (58.62 KiB) Viewed 5643 times
The trucks are as solid as anyone could expect for being outside. Surface rust only where the paint is gone, solid frames, and complete under the hood and dashes. Some modifications like taillights and turn signals, but otherwise untouched

Can't wait to get the red truck on the road. Be seeing you soon going down the hiways...
06boblee
SFC
SFC

Re: The tale of three trucks...

Post by 06boblee »

wow, three at once! Great find.
'54 M37 wew
MVPA #16921
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Nice find! So where in Utah did you find them?
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Travlr
PVT
PVT

Post by Travlr »

Cal_Gary wrote:Nice find! So where in Utah did you find them?
Gary
They were just east of Richfield. If you find yourself heading south, maybe going to Fish Lake or somewhere, give me a call and I'll buy lunch.

I've seen some military hardware on the road into Heber from Park City. You know anything about that guy?
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Thanks!
Nope, never seen that guy or the equipment. The MV club here is so ancient they have to bus most of the members to meetings. I inquired years ago about joining, and they tried to stick me with a half-dozen projects before I even signed up, so I didn't join.

Oh, please add your location to your profile-I might get down your way one of these days!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Post by sturmtyger380 »

stick me with a half-dozen projects before I even signed up
I know how you feel. My local MVPA org wants me to be President again. I was just two years ago and I am not ready to jump back into that again this soon. I want to work on all my stuff!!
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
Travlr
PVT
PVT

Post by Travlr »

Cal_Gary wrote:Thanks!
Nope, never seen that guy or the equipment. The MV club here is so ancient they have to bus most of the members to meetings. I inquired years ago about joining, and they tried to stick me with a half-dozen projects before I even signed up, so I didn't join.

Oh, please add your location to your profile-I might get down your way one of these days!
Gary
LOL, I have no idea how to access my profile. I'm afraid my newbie is showing. Salina... on I-70 and on the way to so many places.
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

Travlr wrote:
LOL, I have no idea how to access my profile. I'm afraid my newbie is showing. Salina... on I-70 and on the way to so many places.
To access your profile:

(1) Click on "User Control Panel" near the top left of most (all?) forum pages. (It's just a bit below the M37 Registry truck logo.)

(2) On the page that comes up, click on the "Profile" tab (Second tab below the "User Control Panel" title)

(3) Edit whatever fields you wish to change. The main one to consider is your location, that's really helpful when people are recommending where to find help, parts, or whole trucks, or when planning to meet up. (Most people ignore most of the other fields here, though if you click on the "edit signature" button on the left, anything you enter will show up at the bottom of every post you make. Some people chose to put some brief info about their truck here. For example, the bottom of my posts show my signature as: 1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine)

(4) Remember to scroll down and click "Submit" when you are done.
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
Travlr
PVT
PVT

Post by Travlr »

The ragtop truck is now for sale. A 1961 M37B1
20210927_112438.jpg
20210927_112438.jpg (67.87 KiB) Viewed 5409 times
I haven't started it yet. The wife and I just got over Covid so things have been slow getting done. Once it is started the price will go up. Right now I'm asking $4500. I'm in the middle of Utah on I-70, so great place to come visit and look at a solid truck. It only has 9512 miles on the odometer, and I believe it!

Come help me start the truck and the price will be even more negotiable...LOL.

Tell your friends! Makes a great Christmas gift for your mother-in-law! Amaze the neighborhood as you pull stumps! Dogs will bark, small children will cry, and your girlfriend will swoon in delight!
Travlr
PVT
PVT

Post by Travlr »

Anybody have any advice to sell the one truck I've got for sale? Any places where military vehicles are listed? I'd like to see it go to a good home where it would be appreciated. A thorough general clean-up, fresh paint, top, and upholstery and somebody could drive it.

I took the batteries out yesterday. Two Interstates that look brand new but they are deader than a door-nail. I'm expecting to start it tomorrow. Two fresh, fully charged batteries, some fresh gas and a squirt of starter fluid, and I'm expecting a runner.

Anything I might want to check before starting?
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

Travlr wrote:Anybody have any advice to sell the one truck I've got for sale? Any places where military vehicles are listed? I'd like to see it go to a good home where it would be appreciated.
You might try the Dodge M37/M43 Facebook Group. They seem to have a fair amount of traffic there.
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
Travlr
PVT
PVT

Post by Travlr »

John Mc wrote:
Travlr wrote:Anybody have any advice to sell the one truck I've got for sale? Any places where military vehicles are listed? I'd like to see it go to a good home where it would be appreciated.
You might try the Dodge M37/M43 Facebook Group. They seem to have a fair amount of traffic there.
Thanks, I just submitted to join. It seems there are a lot of venues but not much action on any of them. Maybe Camaro or Mustang forums have more members? I wouldn't own a Camaro or Mustang unless someone gave it to me... and it would be for sale the next day.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Travlr, put it on KSL Classifieds....
https://classifieds.ksl.com/
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
Travlr
PVT
PVT

Post by Travlr »

I tried to start the '61 ragtop today. The starter motor works. But it wasn't getting fuel. It also looks like the water pump is leaking after I topped off the coolant. It sputtered a couple of times with starting fluid and some gravity fed gas... but no bueno.

I might try starting one of the other trucks tomorrow... or not. I'd like to get the ragtop started so I can sell it. I'm pretty sure the entire fuel line is gummed up so maybe I'll try some reverse air pressure and see if I can get something through from the front to the tank.

The challenge begins.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

So Travlr, what's the word on these bad boys? Sold any, got any running, etc.?
We'd love an update-thanks!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W