Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

k8icu
1SG
1SG

Brake Lines

Post by k8icu »

Hello all,

The M37 had "armored" brake lines which were basically the steel line with a a steel wire wrapped around the tubing. I know that some of the vendors are reproducing these lines for those who are doing restorations which is great. My question is this....is there a modern brake line tubing that updates the original lines? I'm thinking like a braded steel cover or something like that. I'm looking for something commercial off the shelf that can be used for the brake line and give it "armored", off road, protection?

Any thoughts you all might have would be helpful.

Thanks
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
RCrombie
CPL
CPL

Re: Brake Lines

Post by RCrombie »

You can buy stainless steel spring tubing armour. It’s exactly like the original, except in stainless.
I figure that plus one of the the modern brake line alloys like cunifer would appropriately modernize things.
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

The problem I'm having with the spring armor on the brake lines is when I pulled my truck apart the coils around the tube were packed with mud and dirt and the lines were rotted out under all that muck. That's why I'm thinking there has to be something better for "off road" use that won't get packed full of mud and dirt. Or maybe I'm just over thinking this. :)
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I did my lines with the Copper nickel ones, and was able to reuse some of my armor and bought more. I think the likelihood your lines will rot in some reasonable future is unlikely. Your perhaps original lines may be over a half century old. I wouldn't worry about it. NV
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

RCrombie wrote:You can buy stainless steel spring tubing armour. It’s exactly like the original, except in stainless.
I figure that plus one of the the modern brake line alloys like cunifer would appropriately modernize things.
This is the solution I went with.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

When I replaced the brake lines on my Ram charger I was able to buy the Armor Springs from Amazon and make up my own lines. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IRQXDZC/re ... s9dHJ1ZQ==. I guess most auto parts store should have them also.
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
Redleg130
PVT
PVT

Post by Redleg130 »

Brake lines on my M37 look in decent shape, but the coil surrounding it (the armor) is corroding. Its 15ish years old at youngest, so its not shocking.

Would coating these brake lines in grease, then putting the entire line in a hose, I’m imagining a tough garden hose but smaller diameter, be useful to preserve this metal and protect it? The ends do not appear to be so large as to make this impractical.

I see Midwest sells a line replacement kit, which I will likely do at some point, but I sure would like these replacement lines to last a lifetime.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Redleg, I think I'd replace the armored lines then coat the new armor and lines in "Lizard Skin"-supposed to last a long long time.
Just my 2 cents,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Monkeywrench

Post by Monkeywrench »

Here's where I shopped for the brake components.
Good experience with product and shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/str/thestopshopparts