M37 stuck clutch plate

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

slk
PFC
PFC

M37 stuck clutch plate

Post by slk »

Ok guys i think what I have is a stuck clutch plate. Ran fine when I stored it for the winter but this year it would not let me shift into any gear with grinding noise. It has been suggested to take the inspection cover off and have someone push the pedal in while i try to run a puddy knife in between the clutch plate and flywheel. I am wondering if I should loosen the pressure plate bolts some to get a little more clearance??? Any help greatly appreciated

Steve
Cal_Gary

Re: M37 stuck clutch plate

Post by Cal_Gary »

Not necessary to loosen the pressure plate if your clutch pedal free travel is correct. Have someone hold the pedal all the way down while you work underneath. Sometimes rocking it back and forth in gear with the pedal depressed will free it up too.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
slk
PFC
PFC

Post by slk »

I noticed before I loaded it on my trailer yesterday that I could not budge it in neutral either. I had to start it in gear to get it loaded to bring it home to work on. That sort of tells me that perhaps I could rock it back and forth in neutral. Well it is rolling freely in neutral now. Must have been a quirk.

Steve
slk
PFC
PFC

Post by slk »

Ok guys I really need some help here. I am dumbfounded right now and am not understanding things. I ran a puddy knife on both sides of the clutch plate. I have driven it today and while in 3 gear I can step on the clutch pedal and it seams to slow down some, andI let the pedal go really fast I can feel it catching really good. The problem is when I come to a stop the truck still wants to creep forward some. I could be way off here but I think the pedal needs to be adjusted to get more relief off the plate. To get the pedal to apply just a little more pressure, so as to let the clutch plate come off the flywheel a little, do I tighten the lower adjustment screw or the upper adjustment screw???

Steve
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

loosen the locking nuts, then lengthen the lower bolt, and shorten the upper bolt. Tighten the locking bolts. Try just a coupler of turns of the lower bolt. nv
slk
PFC
PFC

Post by slk »

All is good now. I think all it needed was the pedal adjustment. Thanks to all who replied.

Steve
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

Glad you are rolling again. Hal