Rear engine mounting bolts

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

bobcat1/178th
PVT
PVT

Rear engine mounting bolts

Post by bobcat1/178th »

How long are the rear engine bolts? In the manual it shows that they are made for cotter pin and castle nut.....can they be found easy at big box stores and are they grade 8?
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Re: Rear engine mounting bolts

Post by NAM VET »

When I need nuts and bolts and other fasteners, I either get them on line from Grainger, or more often at my local Ace or True Value hardware stores, the "big Box' places tend to not use aisle space for long rows of fastener selections. I use Grade 8 or SS for every fastener I need. For some more critical fasteners, like drive shaft nuts and bolts, I use ARP hardware, from Jegs or Summit. Hal
bobcat1/178th
PVT
PVT

Post by bobcat1/178th »

ok , thanks
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

bobcat1/178th wrote:How long are the rear engine bolts? In the manual it shows that they are made for cotter pin and castle nut.....can they be found easy at big box stores and are they grade 8?
See Fig. 01-6 in ORD 9 SNL G-741. The rear mounting bolts are p/n 7373656 and are described as 2" in length. I doubt that they are Grade 8 originally, only that they are steel, and either cadmium or zinc plated. But they are drilled for the cotter pin, so if you buy generic bolts, you'll need to drill them. Grade 8 will be harder to drill than Grade 5.

If you don't already have a copy of the parts listing, you'll find that the book (ORD 9 SNL G-741) is invaluable, and as much a part of the maintenance documentation as the other manuals. Personally, I much prefer the printed reproductions; the scanned ones that I've used are often missing text or it's garbled.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

they didn't have the grading system back in those days but the quality of the bolts on these trucks is quite good. they would test out to at least a grade 5 in todays system. Never use anything less than grade 5 in any automotive application (actually a law). Never use stainless unless you know its grade. I don't like stainless for most things as it usually isn't graded and it gauls easily. poor servicability
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

If the OP can't locate a long enough drilled bolt, wouldn't a dab of Loctite do just as well? NV
bobcat1/178th
PVT
PVT

Post by bobcat1/178th »

Ah...ok... I have one original bolt still good.......Lowes was useless....Have a Fastenal and NAPA near...if nothing found I'll use reg bolt with locktight .

Its a slow rebuild.....Had a heavy-duty compressor donated to the museum to run our sandblast cabinet....Turns out the pump needs rebuild...Only builds 55 lbs pressure....Guess that's why it was donated :x ...
greeno
SGT
SGT

Post by greeno »

Crossed drilled hex head bolts: McMaster.com
Red loctite works too.
M37
YEAR: 1954