White exhaust smoke NOT Coolant!

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

White exhaust smoke NOT Coolant!

Post by NAM VET »

Late last week, let my 17 year old grandson, visiting from KC, learn, or attempt to learn to drive a manual on my truck, 40 very rural miles to and from a state shooting range. Was fine staying in our lane, hills and curves, but just could't master the clutch/throttle application.

Readying for my 200+ plus mile down to the Charleston area for a month at the beach, I had changed the oil/filter, new brake fluid, snugged up steering play, and then carefully washed my engine, with an upcoming C&C at the beach. Then the next day, Sat, started my engine, and noted some light white smoke from my exhaust, something I never have, my exhaust is always invisible. Then revved my engine a bit, to check oil pressure, and a huge cloud of white smoke out of my exhaust.

I immediately thought my grandson had broken my rings somehow, so did a compression check, all at an even 120 psi hot. No oil in coolant, new oil fresh. Engine had stayed normal temps on his drive, No knocks, idled and ran fine. #2 plug had looked wet or oily when I pulled them, but when the plugs were dry, w are not wet or oily, and had a normal light tan look.

I emailed Charles T, and he told me unlikely some minor over-rev would hurt rings and with good and even compression, head gasket was ok. I had dreaded pulling out my pistons for new oil rings.

I drove my truck a few miles, to get hot and sit several times, and no more episodes of any white smoke, ran fine. I was puzzled, and Charles T again emailed me with some things to consider and what not to do now. Held a piece of white paper against exhaust, no oil or water on the paper.

Then I remembered carefully washing my motor and engine compartment, and thought that I had gotten some water in the air filter and the down-neck under it. And with revving, it pulled some small amount of water into the engine, hence the big cloud of now completely resolved smoke. Per C's suggestions, did several 10 mile drives, with cool downs, and my exhaust is crystal clear and invisible again. Pulled #2 plug again, after idling, and a piece of tissue down onto valve was bone dry.

So just now put a plastic bag over air cleaner, and gently as before sprayed water over my engine, and indeed some spray did get on the plastic bag.

Not enough to hydro-lock, but sure enough to give me near panic, with my trip today to the beach. M37 Rebuild recently completely rebuilt my leaking NP 200 and now it is dry and no leaks.

So this afternoon, I am driving with Caleb 100 miles to Columbia, my son's home, then tomorrow the next 100+ plus back roads to the beach.

Oh, Sat, to add to my Bad Day, Caleb leaned his big PVC tube for his fishing poles against the side of the garage, and when I ran the double door down, it hit the pipe, and twisted and just about came off the rails, was hanging all crooked, but fortunately did not fall on my wife's Jag. So in a couple of hours the garage door repair team is coming to fix that. My grandson Caleb's dad has never taught him anything about cars, and not long ago, drove with the oil light on on his school car, didn't know what that meant, and with a grinding sound, his car's motor ended life.

I have tried to take over some of that role, but learning to drive a manual is something for another time. Taking him off-coast fishing next week for his 17th birthday.

Over the past 3 years, many thanks to Charles Talbert for his patient advice and cautions for me.

Now, mounting my 30 cal Air-cooled M1919 MG for the car show. People just love a machine gun.

Hal, aka NAM VET
Pat Gray
PFC
PFC

Re: White exhaust smoke NOT Coolant!

Post by Pat Gray »

Wow, hope everything will be OK. I wonder if you had some condensation in the muffler? I know on cooler mornings when the engine is cold you will get some white smoke from the exhaust until the engine warms up. Please post some pictures of your trip! Would really like to see them!

Take care and have fun!

Pat
Cal_Gary

Re: White exhaust smoke NOT Coolant!

Post by Cal_Gary »

That's some great info, Hal-thanks!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500