Axle Turns in Neutral

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

delta31
PFC
PFC

Axle Turns in Neutral

Post by delta31 »

We have the rear drivers side tire and rim remove and the axle is blocked up while waiting for a new tire to be installed. We started the engine to charge the batteries a little.
We noticed that the with the engine running and the transmission in neutral, the the axles/drum without the wheel is turning very slowly on it own. Is that normal?
Why does it do that? Thanks
Cal_Gary

Re: Axle Turns in Neutral

Post by Cal_Gary »

No cause for alarm-all the components starting with the tranny have a tendency to turn a bit in neutral if there's no resistance.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Post by sturmtyger380 »

I have seen this as well, and was able to put my hand on the wheel and it stopped turning. If there was a real gear engagement you would not be able to hold it.
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
signsup
PVT
PVT

Post by signsup »

You wanna really freak out? Put your Ford Model T up on jack stands and try to find a true neutral. One rear wheel turns clockwise and the other turns counter clockwise. I was picturing the car driving itself in circles. But, yes, a little resistance and all stops without bogging down the engine. Occasionally it will creep the car, it is called Model T crawl and a good reason to never stand in front of one when idling. Don't think that's the case with a large truck.