Identify Engine by numbers

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Gopher
PVT
PVT

Identify Engine by numbers

Post by Gopher »

Good morning I have a question in regard to identifying which of the engine's are in my truck , The number on the block is US-24-9200.
I was able to get the motor running and drove it into the garage and discovered the water pump is shot. the previous owner had a plow set up on the truck and most likely over tension-ed the belt to run the pump :( I have looked at Mid west it seems the new pump is the way to go rather than a rebuild kit The truck has a GM style alternator on it and 12 V starter. This is a resurrection not a total restoration.
Also any one know where I might locate the hinge plates for the doors, someone removed the doors and they wen't MIA.
Thanks
Joe R
"SHINE" won't earn a dime
CHROME won't get you home
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Re: Identify Engine by numbers

Post by ashyers »

Gohper,
If the engine was orig. in an M37 it typically starts with the prefix T245. I don' recognize the # you posted. Was it from the left front of the block just below the head gasket surface on a machined pad?

This may help too:

https://www.t137.com/registry/help/othe ... ngines.php

It's certainly not uncommon that the engines in these trucks have been swapped around. A photo would be helpful.

Andy
Gopher
PVT
PVT

Post by Gopher »

Eng #.jpg
Eng #.jpg (64.19 KiB) Viewed 953 times
Thanks for the Info Yes the number is stamped on a machined boss on the left front of the block just below the head surface.
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

From what I can see it looks Dodge-like. Does the oil fill tube bolt on or press in? If it bolts on and it's a Dodge 23" engine I'll bet it received a replacement block at some point. The motors in these things were likely swapped a few times in service and then who knows what happened to 'em once in civilian hands!
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Plenty of guys here with parts trucks who probably have spare hinges-post your wants over in the Swap Meet section :)
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Gopher
PVT
PVT

Post by Gopher »

block close up.jpg
block close up.jpg (46.54 KiB) Viewed 908 times
Yes the oil fill tube is held in by two bolts through a flange just above the bottom of the block.
I have a close up of the stamped # on the block
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Joe,
If the oil fill tube bolts on it's a military block. It may have been a new replacement block???? Someone here may recognize the #. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter to much if it's in good shape :).

Andy
Gopher
PVT
PVT

Post by Gopher »

Thanks Andy I now the motor runs fine I just wanted to be sure what I had before I order the water pump. Not to familiar with Mopar. If it was a cat or cummins I could figure it out .
I know the carb is not correct but that has ID # to order a rebuild kit.
Let the fun and games begin!!!!
Joe R
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

Mike's carburators has kits and parts for these carbs. HC
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

the water pump for those fits all the mopar fatheads from the 30s till end of production. there was another type of later water pump but it used the same bolt pattern. the 23 inch flathead 6 mopar was the small block chevy of the era. raced widely and for a long time had more HP than the chev OHV and flathead ford engines