Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

jahrafa
PVT
PVT

Tire question

Post by jahrafa »

Hello,

My name is Rafael and I am new to this forum. I own a 1952 M38 jeep and recently purchased a 1958 M37b1 cargo truck which I will be restoring. I just started the project, and the first thing I am looking for is a set of tires. My problem is that in Puerto Rico, where I am located currently, it is proving impossible to find a set of 9.00 x 16 tires. I would prefer to install the NDT military tires, but since I cannot find them, and it is very expensive to ship them here, I was looking for a comparable size, about the same size LT tires that I can fit on the original wheels and with tubes. Can someone tell me what would be a comparable size? I am very familiar with the M jeeps but not to the new toy M37. Your help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Rafael
jahrafa
EN2 Ruiz
1952 M38, 1952 M37
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Tire question

Post by John Mc »

Here is a link to Cabell Garbee's write-up on Tire choices (which has links to other info). It's been a while since I read it, but it may have info on modern tire size equivalents.

And a couple options for 9.00-16 Tires in the mainland US. I understand may not be an affordable option for you, but thought some actual manufacturers might help you in your search.

STA Super Lug 9.00-16 36.3" diameter
Power King Super Traction LT 9.00-16 35.4" diameter

The 11.00-16 tires are about 38.7" if I recall correctly. I have Michelin 11.00R16 XL tires on my M37. They fit with no rubbing. (They were on it when I bought it. They actually a little large for my taste, visually. However, the extra ground clearance has come in handy for my work in the woods.)

Interco makes the SuperSwamper TSL series of tires. they make one that they call a 38" which is actually closer to 36" diameter. These are more aggressive off-road tires, but are street-legal in the US. Unfortunately, I don't have the specific size/model, however.

There are lots of 36" to 38-39" tires out there. the trick is finding ones to fit the stock rims (16", and narrower than some of the currently popular all-terrain tires)

There are others on here with a whole lot more knowledge than I on this subject. (I'm a relatively new owner, and mostly just know what I've read here and on other sites.) Hopefully they will chime in.
Last edited by John Mc on Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
jahrafa
PVT
PVT

Post by jahrafa »

John,
Thank you for the information. I will check the link.
jahrafa
EN2 Ruiz
1952 M38, 1952 M37
Pat Gray
PFC
PFC

Post by Pat Gray »

Hi Rafael,
Welcome to the forum!! We would like to see your M37B1 if you get a chance to post some pictures. Good luck with your tire search!!! You will find all kinds of help here. Great people!!

Pat
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

another option is the 10.50 x 16 made by STA. great looking and makes you go faster being about 38 tall
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

Kaegi wrote:another option is the 10.50 x 16 made by STA. great looking and makes you go faster being about 38 tall
But might not be street legal in the US.
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
Explorer0863
PFC
PFC

Post by Explorer0863 »

Hi Rafael,

I am the owner of a 1963 M37B1 which I am currently rebuilding. I actually bought 2: a running truck and a parts truck. This was about 7 months ago on the west coast of the island. I still consider myself a new owner and learning every day.

This thread is a little bit old and I don't know if you already found tires for your truck, but just in case, I would like to share this information with you and the group.

I need tires as well and have been conducting a lot of research of the local options for the last couple of months. Just like you, I found that it's impossible to find 9.00-16 NDT locally. All this info came from online forums, FB groups and Google searches in general. I am currently exploring the following sizes:
* 255/85R16: these will fit the standard 6.5" rim, slightly wider than the original, but about the same height.
* 285/75R16: Somewhat wider than originals, but similar diameter. They have been fitted to 6.5" rims, but are slightly pinched.
* 315/75R16: The owner of MSeriesRebuild told me that they only use this size in all the restorations they do.

I am going to take a look at a set of 285/75R16 mud terrain tires this coming week. I am taking the truck's spare tire me so I can do an actual comparison and confirm that they can actually mount them on an original rim before making a decision.

I would like to connect with you and will send you a PM so we can exchange contact information. Also, if you already have tires, I would love to know what you ended up buying.
Tony
USAF SP/SF Vet
1963 Dodge M37B1
1955 Dodge Power Wagon
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

Make sure to buy radial tubes. Bias tubes in radial tires are bad news.

Radial tubes in bias tires are OK, tho.

PoW
NCM
PFC
PFC

Post by NCM »

I'm in a similar position in that I'm ready to replace the old NDTs on my M37. I want to get something that is a little bigger than the stock tires.

I like the look of the Super Swamper 38.5x11x16 tires. Does anyone have any experience with the on-road performance of them? I've heard they are quite noisy and rough riding.

The SuperLug STAs also look nice, but with shipping would be more expensive than the Super Swampers.

I think Michelin XZL or XL 9.00 x 16 would be my first choice, but they seem to be impossible to find except for some stuff on Ebay with 30% tread life left.
NCM
PFC
PFC

Post by NCM »

I'm in a similar position in that I'm ready to replace the old NDTs on my M37. I want to get something that is a little bigger than the stock tires.

I like the look of the Super Swamper 38.5x11x16 tires. Does anyone have any experience with the on-road performance of them? I've heard they are quite noisy and rough riding.

The SuperLug STAs also look nice, but with shipping would be more expensive than the Super Swampers.

I think Michelin XZL or XL 9.00 x 16 would be my first choice, but they seem to be impossible to find except for some stuff on Ebay with 30% tread life left.
RCrombie
CPL
CPL

Post by RCrombie »

I have used this company before for the Michelin 9.00x16s
https://militarytires.ca
They were good to deal with and I was happy with what arrived at my door (5x xzl Michelin’s)
They are located in Ontario, Canada

Cheers
Rob
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

John Mc wrote:
Kaegi wrote:another option is the 10.50 x 16 made by STA. great looking and makes you go faster being about 38 tall
But might not be street legal in the US.

yes they are steet legal in the US

here is a set on a WC52

https://www.otrusa.com/shop/otr-tires/1 ... gKHuvD_BwE
Attachments
WC52  wtih 10.50s#2.JPG
WC52 wtih 10.50s#2.JPG (73.86 KiB) Viewed 1091 times
WC52  wtih 10.50s.JPG
WC52 wtih 10.50s.JPG (66.93 KiB) Viewed 1091 times