Repaired Front Black Out Light

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Repaired Front Black Out Light

Post by NAM VET »

This forum has been a great help to me in the 3 years I have been "restoring" my own M 37. So thought I would relate my experience yesterday in replacing my front BO light in case someone someday wants to read how it went for me. When I turned on my dash light switch to the BO lights, it immediately shorted out, via the circuit breakers. So Pulled the 19 wire Douglas connector apart, and fond with a tester that I had good voltage To the connector, hence the short was in the short wire to or inside the BO light. Removed it, and took the rim off and found three little spring wire clips holding the sealed light fixture which was very rusted, and the inside wires all bent and shorted. Caution, when I pried off the wire clips, one went flying somewhere, so covered the other two with my hand when removing them.

Ordered a new one from Midwest, and it came in two days, but was not the whole light housing, just the sealed inner light with its hood. The box was dated 1952 with Douglas connectors. Cleaned and painted the outer hosing, used a Dremel to trim the mounting tab a tiny bit; to align the inner bulb/hood with the case, there is a small tab. Installed it with the two remain wire springs, and then found the third one on my work bench. I have plenty of Douglas and Packard connectors, and a full wring diagram with instructions on how to assemble them, came with my truck. Pretty handy checking what goes where, with all the tiny stamped markings on the wiring.

Recently bought a circular crimping tool from Ebay, and made up new Douglas connectors, for the run to the connectors in the engine bay. After my morning coffee, I will go out and install it and hook it up.

Just several thoughts. Don't throw away the old case or parts until you get your new sealed bulb unit. Use care to not lose the three springs. And Midwest has what you need. All the best..... HC
Cal_Gary

Re: Repaired Front Black Out Light

Post by Cal_Gary »

Good info for everyone who may need to do this job, Hal-thanks for sharing it!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
RCrombie
CPL
CPL

Post by RCrombie »

Those little springs will certainly fly if you aren’t expecting it. They’re an odd shape too, so I don’t know where you might get replacements.
vit16
CPL
CPL

Post by vit16 »

Thanks for your post!
I will be doing this job.
Do you have any pictures to post?

Thanks Ronnie
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I didn't take any pictures, but I have had enough small parts in my life of attempting to repair things, that now I often put a clean towel down on my work bench, so I can find tiny parts before they roll off and disappear under my workbench. Just be careful with the black out light, and you will be fine. I had to bend a few locating tabs as part of the replacement of the bulb assembly. HC
Explorer0863
PFC
PFC

Post by Explorer0863 »

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'll be working on the BO light soon.
Tony
USAF SP/SF Vet
1963 Dodge M37B1
1955 Dodge Power Wagon
vit16
CPL
CPL

Post by vit16 »

Good info!!