USAFA Experience

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

knattrass
SFC
SFC

USAFA Experience

Post by knattrass »

Zac just got home from a one week baseball camp at the Academy in Colorado Springs. This experience helped him decide to complete his application for consideration to attend the school next year. In re-building his M37, he has learned a ton of hands on experiences. When it is complete, he will volunteer to carrying veterans in parades, provide product demonstrations to vets at the local retirement homes, etc. We have our fingers crossed this summer as he completes his congressional letters for nomination consideration. Sure makes an American dad proud!
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

I sure hope he makes it! It's not the easiest school to get into, nor is it the easiest school to attend, but his education will be top-notch and he'll have a very rewarding career ahead of him when he graduates. :)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
rixm37
MSGT
MSGT

Post by rixm37 »

You should be very proud . I hope he makes it .
1952 M37
M101 trailer
1942 Chevy G506
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

You should be very proud of him! Do you know anyone who has connections to your congressman? It's a shame that politics sometimes plays a role in the nomination. Wouldn't help if there is anyway you can grease the wheels so to speak (and no I didn't mean a bribe I meant to get your sons name stuck in the congressmans head).

I wish him the best of luck.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

A congressional recommendation is a very good thing, indeed! Letters of recommendation from the commanders of your local veterans' organizations will help, too.

All other things being equal, the sons and daughters of Air Force officers receive first consideration, followed by the sons and daughters of officers from the other branches of service. Next comes the children of Air Force enlisted veterans, followed by the children of other veterans. This applies (or used to, anyway) to all the service academies. As you can see, a family history of military service definately helps grease the skids.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
uglyranger
PFC
PFC

Post by uglyranger »

Good luck and best wishes to Zac.
I was stationed at Lowry Air Force Base in 1962 and the academy was there temporarily while construction was on-going in Colorado Springs.