1953 M37 Project

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Sokoji
PVT
PVT

1953 M37 Project

Post by Sokoji »

So I'm new to the site but I just picked up an 1953 M37 from an estate sale, it was the last of the collection so as you can image its pretty rough but the price was right. I'm not sure how to post pictures yet but when I do I'll get some up. Got it dropped off and have been taking it apart because it will need a bunch of work, still trying to decide on the direction i'll be going to get it fixed up. Currently the motor is seized, thought its not the original motor as far as I can tell, the block starts with L23 and from what I looked up that means it was built in 1958. It has an artic hard top from what I can tell and a pretty nice bed thats just floating on the back right now. I'll probably have a ton of questions but I'm excited to get to work on this.

Thanks for having me.
welderdave
PVT
PVT

Re: 1953 M37 Project

Post by welderdave »

is this the one from that collection in seattle.
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

congrats, and lots of help and suggestions here. I did a restoration on my own M 37 over the past few years. I went back and read years of old posts for hints and suggestions. As for posting pictures, one way is to go to post image, log on, select upload, then go to library, click share, and in the selection of link for forums, select it, on a Mac, then command/cut, then go to your post select image, then command/V and your picture will be there.

A few links to this simple process.

https://postimages.org

all the best,,, Hal Copple
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Welcome Sokoji!
Post your many questions here! Also, please add your location to your profile so we know where to route you for parts vendors and such.
Thanks for saving another one!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Sokoji
PVT
PVT

Post by Sokoji »

welderdave wrote:is this the one from that collection in seattle.
Yes, its the parts truck from that collection.

Thanks all for the warm welcomes. Does anyone know the bolt size for the fenders on the bed? The PO put POR 15 on the threads and I need to run a tap through them. Also Is there a good place to get the rubber mounts for the bed, I seem to be missing all of them. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Sokoji on Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sokoji
PVT
PVT

Post by Sokoji »

Thanks for the warm welcomes.
welderdave wrote:is this the one from that collection in seattle.
Yes, it was the parts rig from that collections.

Does anyone know a good source for getting the mounting pads for the bed?
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Sokoji,
You can contact:
Midwest Military:
https://www.midwestmilitary.com/

Vintage Power Wagons:
https://www.vintagepowerwagons.com/online-parts-catalog

They are good for one stop shopping and very knowledgeable about M37's. I'd suggest you pick up some manuals and parts books, it will make your life much easier! One nice thing about M's is that most of the parts are available and once the truck is sorted out they don't eat too much if you drive 'em regularly and keep up with general maintenance.

Enjoy your truck!

Andy
Sokoji
PVT
PVT

Post by Sokoji »

Thanks for those links to the two suppliers, they seem to have every part you could need.

So been taking the truck more apart to get to the things that need repaired. Found out that the engine is from a vehicle made in 1958 and everything on it is 12v. Replaced the rear springs as they were exploding out from rust. Gained a few inches in height in the process.
Still trying to break the engine free, the head is off and I tried soaking the pistons in 50/50 atf/acetone for a week and still can't get it to budge. Dropped the pan and pulled off the piston caps to see if it they were seized to the crank, luckily they werent, crank and bearings look pretty good so far. It appears the pistons rings are rusted to the bore. Got some metal rescue and filled up all the cylinders, I guess I'll see if it get rid of the rust.

Curious about the front and rear axle ratios, while I was replacing the springs I checked them and it appears for one rotation of the tires the drive shaft spins just shy of 4 times. It should be almost 6 times for 5.83 gears from my understanding.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

4.89 gears are a popular upgrade in the M37 axles-perhaps you have a set of those contained within.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
Sokoji
PVT
PVT

Post by Sokoji »

Cal_Gary wrote:4.89 gears are a popular upgrade in the M37 axles-perhaps you have a set of those contained within.
Gary
That's what I was thinking as well, and it would be nice if it was 4.89 gears, but the driveshaft turns something like 3.9 turns for every one full rotation of the tires so it doesn't match up with any ratio I know of. Only ones I know of are the 5.83, 4.89 and 4.30.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Oh, and your rear fender bolts are 3/8 NF. Welting goes between the fender and the bed. Midwest Military or Vintage Power Wagons should have both.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
Sokoji
PVT
PVT

Post by Sokoji »

Still trying to get the engine to turn. Cylinders were pretty rusty but the rescue metal cleaned them up pretty well just hasn't soaked past the rings yet. I tried heating up the cylinder walls to see if it would break the rings away from the wall, finally got it firing on all cylinders. :lol:

Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

That's the first external combustion flathead that I've ever seen. 8)
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
Sokoji
PVT
PVT

Post by Sokoji »

I was checking the brake lines and they are pretty sketchy. Does anyone know the size of the line and the nuts for the flares? I'm thinking of making some new lines.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Easier to just buy pre-made, armored lines as a set. John at Midwest Military has them.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W