question wiring new temp gage

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

question wiring new temp gage

Post by NAM VET »

I have a new plastic case water temp gage, with the two Packard connections. Replaced my Douglas connector temp sender with a new Packard sending unity, moving the oil filter out of the way. I have a bag of assorted Douglas and Packard connectors and plenty of military 14 gage wire, so made up new wire (33) from the Packard sending unit to the dash panel, and a shorter one with a Douglas one one end, and a Packard (27 wire hook-up from the spider), on the other end for my gage. But I don't know which gage receptacle takes which wire. I saw a Utube where a chap on his M37 replaced his oil pressure gage with a new Packard one, and he put the wire from the sending unit to the ribbed gage connector, but that reverses the line up of the original gage's connectors.

Anyway, I don't want to risk a problem, so any guidance from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

NV
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Re: question wiring new temp gage

Post by rickf »

The ribbed connector is usually the positive side, Which on a sending unit gauge would be the hot wire coming in and the smooth connector would be the wire going out to the sending unit. I would wait till you get another answer or two since this is an older vehicle than I am used to working on and they may be different. I am curious to know for sure myself.
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

thanks, hooking my wires up per your suggestion puts the gage and wires in the same position as the original gage. I am having a salmon/ginger dressing salad now, while my wife heads out to have lunch with her girlfriends. I will work up my courage to try it per your thoughts. Hal
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

well, it seems my new gage works with the 33 wire from my sending unit goes into the ribbed connector on the gage, the short hot lead into the smooth one. All well now.

hal