1953 M37 Rust free New England Survivor Maine

Buy and sell M37 and related stuff

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Forum rules
Your Location must be included in your advertisement or it may removed without notice.
Navydivedoc

1953 M37 Rust free New England Survivor Maine

Post by Navydivedoc »

1953 Dodge M37 - $9500 Bar Harbor Maine

I bought this truck originally from New Hampshire in 2007. It had come from a Maple Syrup "farm" in VT where it had a large tank in the back to collect syrup from the trees. So, it never was used on the salted roads in the winter. I brought it to Maine. I ended up selling it a year later to a local Coast guard active duty officer.

He did a fair amount of work to the truck. He put new tires on it, the canvas top, replaced all of the gear/transmission and transfer case fluids with modern synthetics, radiator flush, etc. He put on the new iron wood bench seats and side boards. All of this was one between 2008 and 2013. I don't have records, he did the work himself. Nice, honest active duty guy with no reason to lie, I was buying it anyway as I was sad I had sold it the first time.

I bought the truck back from him in 2013. Because everything had been baselined in recent memory, and the truck runs well, my maintenance has been limited to an annual oil change. My biggest-mileage year was 180 miles, so the oil was done for moisture and fuel dilution, not mileage.

It's only been about 1500 miles, but upwards of 10 years on the other fluids, so they could stand a change. Radiator is inexpensive "green" fluid. Transmission and transfer case use straight 50w oil, diffs use any GL5 80/90w. Inexpensive and easy. Fan belt is OK but a little play, could probably be replaced. The oil pressure sender works intermittently. Replacement is about $50, on the side of the engine, easy fix.

It needs nothing immediately. I just changed the oil when I was in Maine over July 4th. Fires immediately. It runs a bit rich on start-up, and takes a bit to warm up. Once warm and the choke is off, it runs great.

Tires have started to develop some fine cracks in the sidewalls in a few places. Typical at around 10 years. They are bias ply tires, very thick layered sidewalls, so they have a lot of years left in them despite a few cracks, but I want to give full disclosure. Like all of these, the various seals on the T-case, trans and diffs leak. I think it's inevitable.

I also have a hard top, original "arctic top" that I will include at the advertised price. A box of some miscellaneous parts, OD paint.
Stencils are high quality vinyl, so they can be heat-gunned off. They are my old units, dive school class, etc. No official pattern or history of the truck.
I sold it once and regretted it, and was lucky to buy it back. I have been a bit on the fence about selling it again, but I have to hold the line on the collection.

I would consider trades for MB, CJ2a, CJ3a, Land Rover series or lightweight, ? others. Small, no 2.5 or 5 tons. Must be comparable or better condition, no rust. Cash in either direction.

I'm having a hard time getting individual images to load.
Lots of pics here: https://navydivedoc.smugmug.com/Cars/1953-Dodge-M37/

https://maine.craigslist.org/cto/d/1953 ... 05681.html