Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

keyslammer
PVT
PVT

Oversize spare tire on driver door swing mount

Post by keyslammer »

Guys (& Gals),
I have a 1953 M37 with the mounting framework for the swing out spare tire rack. However, my truck has Michelin X, 11.0x16 tires. Standard rim, larger tire. Has anybody mounted larger tires to the swing out spare? I am considering a communications shelter for the truck...which will force me to relocate the spare. I don’t want to purchase a tire mount if the tire will bind on the door, etc.

Tires are 11” wide, 38” diameter.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Keyslammer
Attachments
The door mount (no bracket yet...waiting for your feedback)
The door mount (no bracket yet...waiting for your feedback)
B5790F21-C499-4930-A9C8-DBE0214171A9.jpeg (52.99 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
The Michelin tire
The Michelin tire
EDA63B7F-BDFA-4C80-80E7-8A90249BCA77.jpeg (32.61 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
indy

Re: Oversize spare tire on driver door swing mount

Post by indy »

hello... i hope this post isn't too late for you...

i am no expert, by any stretch of the imagination but... i do own a 1954 m37 with swing out mount and i can type... :D

i think you have plenty of room for any clearance issues. currently, my mount swings pretty wide and so i don't think you would have any problems...

the only problem i can foresee is... you might have a tougher access to the mount release lever from inside the truck... from the driver's side open window, you have to reach down around the back of mounted tire to push the mount release lever... with the standard tire, i have a couple of inches the lever exposed and the action of the release is very easy... the little difference in your Michelins shouldn't be a problem...

good luck and let us know how it turned out...!
m37paul
PVT
PVT

Post by m37paul »

My truck has a lever inside by the rear of the door that operates the release. The only time I have to lower the window is to latch the tire carrier. Paul
mdainsd
PVT
PVT

Post by mdainsd »

If you go this route be sure you get the re-enforcement that welds to the inside of the door opening to support the weight of the wheel and tire.