Brake Linings

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Brake Linings

Post by sturmtyger380 »

In my SC 37 build post I mentioned I am working on getting the rear frame cleaned, primed and painted.

So I decided to pull the rear drums. This is the first time I have had them off since I got the truck years ago. The passenger side rear flat head screws came out easy with a screwdriver! :shock:

The drivers side rear needed some heat and the use of a punch at an angle to get them to back out. After adjusting the brake shoes inwards the drums came off without too much struggle.

So like the rest of the truck was, the inside is coated in gray Florida mud. This might be good as it appears the truck sill has asbestos shoes. Looking at the linings they look like they are not very worn.

I know about the dangers of asbestos and have not disturbed anything yet. I will wet it down and collect the water as I clean in a pan for disposal.

Here's the question, If the shoes are not worn and reused, would they have more stopping power than new composite shoes? I have always wondered that. Maybe they would be more heat resistant?

Alan
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: Brake Linings

Post by just me »

New compounds are better. We don't race on old compounds.
And personally, I wouldn't sweat the mineral content of the old linings. It is more a TV ambulance chaser problem than a real short term exposure problem.
You will notice the abatement requirements were greatly relaxed as soon as it came to government properties. Like anything, don't make it an aerosol with a blow gun and you will be fine. Wash it down with brake cleaner into a pan. Wipe the pan out with rags while still damp. Toss the rags.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

I have to agree with just me on the asbestos danger. Replacing your brake linings - if indeed they have asbestos content - is such a small exposure that your risk is likely less than everyday exposures to a thousand other things such as radon, other natural background radiation, etc.

You're probably in more danger from the volatile organic chemicals in a new car (plastics, carpeting, etc.) than from the small amount of asbestos dust in those brake shoes.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

I have been a mechanic for almost 50 years and for many of the earlier years we blew out brake drums. Yes, with asbestos brakes. I consider myself lucky not to have asbestosis (knocking on wooden head as I type this) but as they are saying, if it is not airborne it is not a hazard so keep it wet and it is safe.
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
mg1978
PVT
PVT

Post by mg1978 »

There is no health risk to exposure to asbestos unless you are breathing a lot of it as fine dust particles. It is inert and non toxic. In solid form it is safe. I would not use compressed air to blow out brake drums as this would create a dust cloud. I would wash out or wipe out drums to clean. To be extra safe you can wear a cheap disposable dust mask over your nose and mouth while working with asbestos. As for your old brake shoes if they are in good shape and not soaked in oil you can clean them up and reuse them. I myself would probably use new brake shoes.
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Post by sturmtyger380 »

Here is what the dried mud encrusted bake and hub looks like.

47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

Looks to me like there is almost no lining left at all on there. I think once you rinse off the mud you will find you are in need of brakes.
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone