UPDATE--UP AND RUNNING-Transmission...

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Cal_Gary

Re: UPDATE--UP AND RUNNING-Transmission...

Post by Cal_Gary »

Thanks Elwood,
I'm pretty sure mine is the correct one since it was included with my PTO purchase. At some point I'll need to replace the U-joints but at present I don't use the winch. The chain I use is enough to pull anybody out, and I also have an M816 Wrecker chain as backup.

Those 4-wheelers are nuts around here. The 1st one got stuck on a little berm with only 6 inches of snow, and his fellow Trog had a chain hooked to his front end, trying to pull him further UP HILL!! The 2nd was in the street, and while it's steep, had he just idled up w/o trying to be a full off-road mudder he would have made it.

I just chuckled as I drove by, and they were giving me these longing looks since I was cruising by in the Rubicon with its off-road tires and factory Dana 44 lockers....

I hope to take the M37 out on Saturday.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Gary, just in case you should need it, the length of an NOS winch shaft is 38-11/16".
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Thanks!
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

If you are even thinking about replacing the U-joints, start searching for them now. They are difficult to find and expensive through most common sources. Although many places LIST them, few have them and the mfg hasn't done a run of them in decades. I was able to find them at an old farm supply that had a set from 30 years ago. He was glad to get them off the shelf. Seems no tractor has used them in many, many years. They used to be common. I have since put up a spare set in my parts storage for just in case.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Interesting point about the winch driveshaft U-joints, just me.

I have one drive shaft assembly that has what appear to be smaller than standard U-joints, and of course the corresponding yokes to go with them. Maybe it's from a different vehicle, but the shaft length, and the overall length, appear to be correct. I don't have the measurements of the stock U-joints to compare, but the U-joints in this particular driveshaft measure 2.312" across, and the bearing cups are 0.937" in diameter. And unlike the outside lock-up OEM U-joints, these smaller ones are an inside lock-up design. The inside dimensions of the end yokes, which fit on the PTO output shaft and the winch worm shaft, seem to be the same as stock.

Maybe someone figured out the yoke pieces from a different vehicle, to get around the unobtanium OEM U-joints?
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776