looking for instructions for bronze bushing replacement

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

06boblee
SFC
SFC

looking for instructions for bronze bushing replacement

Post by 06boblee »

Does anyone have a link to a tutorial on how to remove and replace bronze bushings- I need to replace my front spring rear frame bushings- so far.
'54 M37 wew
MVPA #16921
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: looking for instructions for bronze bushing replacement

Post by just me »

Use a bushing remover. (Or make one) and drive the old bushing out. Clean the bore. Drive the new bushing in. Ream to fit if necessary. For thin or long bushings, I like to make an installer that fits the bore full length with a few thousands slop to help prevent collapsing the bushing. (Harley transmissions are a good example)
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

just me wrote:Use a bushing remover. (Or make one) and drive the old bushing out. Clean the bore. Drive the new bushing in. Ream to fit if necessary. For thin or long bushings, I like to make an installer that fits the bore full length with a few thousands slop to help prevent collapsing the bushing. (Harley transmissions are a good example)
Just to be clear, when just me calls for an "installer that fits the bore," I think he's referring to a custom-made drift or driver that fits the inside diameter of the new bushing, not the cleaned-out bore of the steel casting that holds the bushing and is riveted to the frame.

The few thousandths slop is necessary, because a soft bronze bushing is likely to get a bit tighter when driven into a steel bore such as the front spring rear mount casting. So don't try to use one that is tight in the uninstalled new bushing. Once you press the bushing in and it squeezes, you'll have a heck of a time getting the drift out. :oops:

It might also help to freeze the new bushing before trying to install it. Some press fit lube probably wouldn't hurt, either.

Here are some photos that might help: http://www.m37rebuild.com/Suspension%20 ... Items.aspx. Open the "6/2012 - Rebuild leaf springs (24)" section.

Don't skip the reaming step after the bushings are pressed in. It's important to get the installed bushing ID the right size. TM 9-8031-2 (par. 351) has the specs for the finished ID of the bushings.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I used an open-ended hacksaw to carefully cut a slot in the old bushing (that releases the tension) then drove 'em out.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
06boblee
SFC
SFC

Post by 06boblee »

Thanks for the replies. Another question, are all of the bushings (frame & spring) the same? I have a box of ten--- hope to use them everywhere?
'54 M37 wew
MVPA #16921
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

06boblee wrote:Thanks for the replies. Another question, are all of the bushings (frame & spring) the same? I have a box of ten--- hope to use them everywhere?
No, unfortunately, the bearings (bushings) are not standardized across all of the spring components. The part numbers are different for some of the spring points, and the ORD 9 SNL G-741 parts catalog has dimensions for each bearing which show the differences. If you don't already have a printed copy of the parts catalog, here's one option: http://www.ebay.com/itm/222048634868?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT.

Also, if you're replacing the bearings, you might consider upgrading them to something better than the OEM design. For example, the front spring eyes (7351270) can use McMaster-Carr 7965K26, which has grease grooves milled into the inside diameter, an improvement over the stock bearing). The search function will find useful info already posted here, such as: http://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php ... n+bushings.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
06boblee
SFC
SFC

Post by 06boblee »

When installing the bushings, do you use some kind of lube?
'54 M37 wew
MVPA #16921
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

It helps if you do-most any lube, or dish soap works. I recall spraying mine with some PB Blaster before install.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Agreed. I use some sort of press-fit lube when pushing in a bushing. Depending on the application and fit, I'll use a retaining compound, such as Loctite 603: http://www.loctite.sg/sea/content_data/93772_603EN.pdf
06boblee
SFC
SFC

Post by 06boblee »

Thanks,
'54 M37 wew
MVPA #16921
06boblee
SFC
SFC

Post by 06boblee »

Got my front springs all done, started to look for bushings for the rear springs. According to ORD9 SNL G-741 the part # for the front and rear spring eye bushings is 7351270. the only one that is listed as different is the rear shackle bushing- part # 7351085. It is listed as having an inside dia of .7495, while the spring eye bushings list the ID as .7351. But the same bolt is used in both places? I suppose this is where the reaming comes in. The OD of the shackle bushing is .8740 (7/8").

Just passing on info.
'54 M37 wew
MVPA #16921
rickv100
SGT
SGT

Post by rickv100 »

TM9-8031 page 296 just states to ream bearings so bolts are a free fit with minimum clearance.

Rick