Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

shadow 9er
PVT
PVT

MP Trucks

Post by shadow 9er »

Howdy,

Does anybody have pictures of an M37 in Army Military Police markings? I'm not even sure this was ever actually a thing, but I have seen pics of a couple M37's marked as Marine MP trucks. Having deployed with an MP unit, I think I'd like to set my rig up that way...Perhaps with the MERDC camo, too!
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Re: MP Trucks

Post by w30bob »

Shadow,

If you Google "Dodge M37 Military Police" and click on "Images" the first and sixth picture are M37s done up in MP attire. I'd post the pics here, but I'm powerwashing my deck and need to get done before it gets dark.

regards,
bob
carolinamv
SSGT
SSGT

Post by carolinamv »

Theres one on here , thread titled M37 in country or something like that
-Jay

MVPA#31295
Military Vehicle Collectors of Colorado
http://www.mvcconline.org
3/3 CAV HWB
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

When it comes to MP markings having been an MP for almost 20 years, before our unit was converted to something else, there was regulation markings and then there were unit markings. It always comes down to what the unit commander wanted for markings. Basically the truck would have had all the typical markings of the stars, bumper markings, TP -45, Caution do not over fill etc. Then it would have Military Police marked on the front, the bed sides and the rear tail gate. Whether or not it had a siren or lights again would be a unit modification/ installation. That being most MP units used 1/4 tons for the lion share of duty and if they had a 3/4 assigned to them it was for non MP duties like chow runs or for hauling equipment etc. The 1/4 ton was used for mission duties. After searching the web I have found 1 pix of an actual M37 in Vietnam in use.

http://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4260

As you can see it was set up much like the MP 1/4 with MG no top etc. My feeling is the requirements of convoy protection warranted the use of a 3/4 ton over a 1/4 ton for some reason.

If you are going to do MERDC Camo (4 color) on the truck, (which I think would look real cool) then remember your MP markings would be subdued/black also.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

K8..........that makes sense..........thanks. When you think of any police vehicle you expect it to be "fast". 1/4 ton Jeeps aren't speedsters.........but compared to an M37 they go like stink! It's hard to use "M37" and "fast" or "quick" in the same sentence. It would make a better Paddy Wagon than Police car. :mrgreen:

regards,
bob
shadow 9er
PVT
PVT

Post by shadow 9er »

K8, W30bob, thanks for the info!

I, too have been an MP for quite a bit of time...Although retired from all that, now. I just thought it might be nifty to think about this as an option for my truck, when I get around to it.

I really think I will go with the 4-color camo, though. Not many of those around.
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

I am giving thought to making my truck an MP truck with my prior units markings. I too am retired from that, and I was going to go with how a HMMWV is marked up and then go from there. Hmmm can I get a slant back on my truck....lol :mrgreen: :lol: :roll:
M37s are HMMWV in my world!