wintergreen oil restores rubber

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

billy
SSGT
SSGT

wintergreen oil restores rubber

Post by billy »

I have read on antique motorcycle forums that they use oil of wintergreen and alcohol to restore old rubber items.
The alcohol opens up the rubber so that the oil can get in.
Apparently they use it on impossible to replace spark plug boots and stuff like that.
I have a really cool military gas can spout that has a expandable rubber plug.
But it is hard as a rock.
That oil is also used as a horse liniment for sore muscles.
I am going to get some and try it out.
I will keep you posted as to it's efficacy.
CSCameron
PFC
PFC

Re: wintergreen oil restores rubber

Post by CSCameron »

I have heard similar, but have never tried it. I'm very interested to hear your results, be sure to report back. Pics would be nice too!

Clark
Drew M.
CPL
CPL

Post by Drew M. »

NAPA sells a rubber preserver in a gallon. It was under $30. It does not contain alcohol, which damages rubber.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

I found this subject a bit fascinating..........so I dug around a bit on the web. Seems the wintergreen oil does work, which surprises me. I wonder if it works on old hard tires? I'm actually thinking about soaking one of my NOS wiring harnesses before I install it to help it live longer. Very interesting topic. Will be trying some test cases as soon as the weather breaks. Thanks for posting this stuff.

regards
bob
billy
SSGT
SSGT

Post by billy »

Drew M. wrote:NAPA sells a rubber preserver in a gallon. It was under $30. It does not contain alcohol, which damages rubber.
wintergreen oil doesnt preserve it.
it restores elasticity
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

w30bob wrote:Hi Guys,

I found this subject a bit fascinating..........so I dug around a bit on the web. Seems the wintergreen oil does work, which surprises me. I wonder if it works on old hard tires? I'm actually thinking about soaking one of my NOS wiring harnesses before I install it to help it live longer. Very interesting topic. Will be trying some test cases as soon as the weather breaks. Thanks for posting this stuff.

regards
bob
Oil and tires seems like a bad mix. Reminds me of a guy I know. His brother-in-law detailed his sport bike and armour-alled the tires. He went to make a turn at a stoplight and laid the bike down right in the middle of the intersection, with four lanes of traffic laughing at him. He was fine, but embarrassed.
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

ZGjethro wrote:
w30bob wrote:Hi Guys,

regards
bob
Oil and tires seems like a bad mix. Reminds me of a guy I know. His brother-in-law detailed his sport bike and armour-alled the tires. He went to make a turn at a stoplight and laid the bike down right in the middle of the intersection, with four lanes of traffic laughing at him. He was fine, but embarrassed.
Oil or Armor All or tire dressing on the tread surface of any tire is a bad idea, but motorcycle tires are unique in that they're designed to lean over when cornering (it's how a motorcycle turns). So what looks like the sidewall of a motorcycle tire to many people, is actually part of the tread.

We used to have problems with customers applying Armor All to the vinyl seat of their motorcycle. :shock:

Tires on any vehicle are not worth messing with. Once the rubber is dried out and cracked, it's time to replace them, regardless of how much tread depth is left. Traction with NDT pattern tires on hard surfaces is not the best to begin with, degrades quickly when wet, and is made even worse when the tread can't flex because it's old and hard.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
billy
SSGT
SSGT

Post by billy »

I put armor all on a steering wheel.
ONCE
jeeze,what was i thinking?
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

I was a teenager when Armor All came out and was all the rage. We put it on EVERYTHING. It looked like some people dunked their cars in the stuff. Putting it on steering wheels and motorcycle seats are memorable experiences for sure.

What ZG says is true.......but in this case the wintergreen is actually replacing the oil that was originally in the rubber, not putting a silicone coating over the top of the it. Now once rubber is cracked it's not going to repair itself if you replenish the oil it lost......but if it's just stiff it will get softer again. I'm not recommending anyone soak their NDTs in a vat of wintergreen oil, just saying it's not the same as applying a topical like Armor All. Common sense, as always, should prevail. I've yet to actually try the wintergreen rejuvenation on some old rubber parts, but I did buy a big bottle of it (I forget the chemical name now), but will try it once the weather breaks.

regards,
bob
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Remember slot cars? We used oil of wintergreen as a traction aid on the tires. Hurst makes a Super Rubber Rejuvinater that does wonders to old stuff. If you can find a can, tape machine pinch roller cleaner is the best. Hazardous as can be and obsolete. Whenever I find it, I buy it. (For my reel to reel tape machines.)
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

w30bob wrote:...but I did buy a big bottle of it (I forget the chemical name now)...
Methyl Salicylate

Bob, do you recall where you found it and how much it cost?
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Thanks! That's the best price I've seen.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Yup.............I bought the same thing. I got mine on Amazon back in July for $26.

Just...........what brand of pinch roller cleaner do you use? Most of the ones I've used are simply alcohol and tend to dry the roller out, not rejuvenate it. So what's the name of your secret sauce?

regards,
bob
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Tascam rubber cleaner RC-2 is the most common one I find. Also, on occasion, I find Otari branded cleaner/ conditioner.