Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Un-Notched Running Board?

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

Picked up a set of NOS running boards, but noticed something funny........they don't have the notch cut out at the end that's at the back of the cab. Anybody know which M37 variant they were used on? All 4 smashed up running boards on my 2 trucks have the notch, and the ORD I have only shows one PN per side. Mounting holes are the same and I don't see any reason they won't work.........just curious about the application.

thanks,
bob

milstencil
CPL
CPL

Re: Un-Notched Running Board?

Post by milstencil »

I noticed that to! I have 2 of the notched ones on my truck.
Maybe to let the rain water roll off the cab and not onto the
running board???!! Save metal in a later contract??
Rick
Resident of the Communist state of Massachusetts, home of failed
health care and failed gun control! See what the Democrats can do
when they control both houses.
http://www.militarystencils.com
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Rick,

Weird, ain't it? I looked under the cab and there's no reason for the board to be notched......so I'm stumped. I did see a set of M37 running boards made in France when they were using these trucks and those looked different.....the holes in our running boards are punched from the backside so the sharp side is up. The French did it the opposite way and punched from the top with the holes sharp sides down. And the hole pattern was different.

Good fun,
bob
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Rick,

This is fun. These boards really have me stumped. On real-close inspection I can see there's light pitting in the metal under the paint and the square holes for the carriage bolts that mount them are all tweaked (not square anymore).........so these boards were installed on a vehicle........the question is what vehicle? I'm going to look thru the new US Dodge books I got from David Doyle this weekend and see if any of the prototype M37 vehicles had un-notched running boards. Very interesting.

regards,
bob
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Isn't the notch for use on models with the short exhaust (M43 ambulance, contact maintenance truck, etc.) where the service body intrudes on the space where the normal M37 exhaust pipe turns out from under the cargo box? I'm not sure why they'd notch the driver's side running board, though.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Elwood,

Can't say for sure about that, but the ORD9 only lists 2 running boards (left and right) for all the M37 variants it covers. I've got some old damaged running boards in my shed........I'm going to go out there in a minute to see if any of them do not have the notch.

regards,
bob
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

I noticed the absence of multiple part numbers, too. Neither the 1954 ORD 9 SNL nor the later 1972 TM9-2320-212 versions show more than one part number for each side (and they all show the same part nos.)

I'll check my inventory ( :lol: ) tomorrow, and see if I have full, notched, or a mix.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Elwood,

I checked my shed and I did find another set of well used running boards without the notches. I also checked my AF M37, made in 1952, which has it's original running boards....and they have the notch. So they don't seem to be rare, as I now have 2 sets of notched boards, and were not used in 1952.......so they are either from early trucks......or possibly later trucks (B1s? ). You could say they were notched to save money........or changed from notched to un-notched to make them stronger (an upgrade) for later trucks. :D

regards,
bob
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

My 53 are both notched. M37.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

I have two pairs of boards on hand, and both are notched.
06boblee
SFC
SFC

Post by 06boblee »

My '54 has the notched ones.
'54 M37 wew
MVPA #16921
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

My 53 has both, notched and passenger side no notch?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hmmmmm.............the plot thickens. I've been looking at M37s on the web and all the ones where I can see the end of the running board have notched boards. So I don't know what's up. I don't believe any other Dodge truck used the M37 running board and none of the ORDs list more than one part number for the right and left board. I give up. :mrgreen:

Might be a good question for the MVPA tech advisor for M37s.......whoever that is.

regards,
bob
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

the 52, 53, 54 and 55 cnd m37s in the yard all have notched running boards.
.............................. use it ...............
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

I forgot to mention, one of mine was a replacement, the notched one, it came from AB Linn as I recall?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA