Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

greencom
SGT
SGT

Bolt torque with lube

Post by greencom »

Hi,
I need some opinions, maybe I'm overthinking this. I know a lot of members here use sealant on head bolts that go through water jackets, what concerns me is that this practice lubricates the thread and has a significant effect on the torque that should be applied to the bolt, if the specified torque is used the bolts will be over-torqued, right? I've worked on machinery that used bolt stretch instead of torque values, we had a torque vs stretch chart made up as a guide and discovered that a lubed bolt stretched to spec with a lot less torque applied to it so I know it does make a difference. Does anybody reduce torque with lube? There are charts that show as much as 40% less torque required depending on the lubricant.
Thanks for listening.
Bob R
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Re: Bolt torque with lube

Post by w30bob »

Hi Bob,

VPW recommends head bolts have sealant applied and be torqued to 65-70 foot-pounds and stud
nuts to 52-57 foot-pounds. I don't know if folks actually do that or not, but those values are for lubricated fasteners.

regards,
bob
greencom
SGT
SGT

Post by greencom »

W30bob,
Thanks for the reply. 65 to 70 ft/lbs is what's specified in the TM , no sealant mentioned that I'm aware of, so I guess I'll hold off reassembly for a while.

Bob R
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Sealant is needed on the head bolts or you will have leaks. I applied sealant to mine and torqued to the TM spec with zero issues.

Make sure that your bolts are in good shape and not pitted or just buy new ones and complete the install.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
j mccormick
CPL
CPL

Post by j mccormick »

On most of the vehicles that specify a certain torque reading, the instructions I've read were that that torque was with clean threads lubricated with oil.

Joe
greencom
SGT
SGT

Post by greencom »

Thanks all,
You guys have the experience, good enough for me. I tend to dwell on details but I figure it's better to overthink than to underthink stuff.
Bob R