Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

choppa
CPL
CPL

Why the m37? WHATS SO GREAT?

Post by choppa »

Wow.. got your attention! :wink:

No really... I need to ask, why do YOU so think the M37 is the "best truck" to you?

not being smart A**ed in any way, other than maybe a tad bit of complaining (see later)

I mean, I have owned many old dodges, a few 1941 1/2 ton WC models, 4x4, both open and closed cabs
I have owned a 3/4 ton WC-51 weapons carrier and even a wc56 command car.

(I wont even get into the ww2 jeeps and trucks too, Ill keep this all DODGE)

So.. having owned them, and sold them, I have had the pleasure to drive all, I know the benefits of them all. or drawbacks...

I.E. the open cab 1/2 ton was more nimble, and open air like a jeep. the closed cab 1/2 tons, well, they are hot in summer but COOL A**ed look, definately the "ww2" look in a truck. and its nice with roll up windows when it gets cold or rain in forecast :)

both 1/2 tons were faster, i.e. 4:89 gears, especially with the larger than stock 9:00-16 installed..

Now the 3/4 tonners, both had their benefits and down sides too.

So, back to my original question, keeping the fact in mind what I wrote about my past trucks:

WHATS so great about your (or mine) or anyones M37? whay did you choose this model to own/restore/drive/enjoy?

I mean, to me the truck is shorter wheel base, more nimble in tight off roading... the 2 speed transfer case is nice, and the truck is definately a "truck" compared to the lighter, more fragile dodge 1/2 tons.

BUT... the damn things are complicated and expensive in comparision to a ww2 truck.. sorry. been my experience. many more parts due to the water proof distro, wiring with all those vent lines and extra items..and parts are NOT cheap either..

the earlier dodges were definatly easier on the pocket book. (this is my B*tch session now)

the M seres are definately more costly to restore... yet the return on investment doesnt come close to the restoraion and worth of a 1/2 ton or other ww2 truck.. (looking at past sales of each)

so whats the draw to them then? the looks? the time frame / era? the performance? the open can feel? the ride quality?

would love to hear...
j mccormick
CPL
CPL

Re: Why the m37? WHATS SO GREAT?

Post by j mccormick »

For me it's the look, the sounds when driving, the nostalgia of a simpler time when trucks were trucks and looked like it. I think all the old trucks are cool but the M37 embodies all that old trucks were.
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

In March of 1958 when I was a 13 yr old we had a blizzard that dumped 24 inches of snow on Maryland and during the week that followed the first day of Spring storm the electric power was out, the county plow crews were unable to clear the roads, streets and highways due to drifting that removed all traces of their work each night. During this time the local police could not use their cars and had borrowed tire chain equipped Dodge M37s from the local National Guard unit and patrolled with them. It was then that I got a glimpse of the first M37 I had ever seen, churning it's way through the otherwise impassable motorways and I thought that was the kind of vehicle I wanted to own someday although at that time I had no idea what it was other than some kind of army truck.
Years later while in basic training I learned what the truck I saw was and it was not long after that, about 1971, I was offered one in a trade deal for my USAF M38A1 and I have owned one or more ever since. These trucks are a workhorse and with a winch almost unstoppable (please, no brake jokes) and have the classic brutish look of a no nonsense military vehicle of bygone days.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Ah!.........it's simple.........I can't afford a tank or a kettenkrad and I don't fit in a Jeep very well.

:mrgreen:

bob
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

It is the only PW designed with a proper suspension design.

The ride is priceless compared to any of the predecessors.

Your spleen will thank you.

PoW
Last edited by PoW on Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
carolinamv
SSGT
SSGT

Post by carolinamv »

Well id like a WC51...

But I love my M37, I need both
-Jay

MVPA#31295
Military Vehicle Collectors of Colorado
http://www.mvcconline.org
3/3 CAV HWB
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Jeeps and Mules were too expensive to buy, anything else is too big.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Don't forget functionality-I just picked up 2 16 foot deck rails and ran them from the tailgate strap through the back window, through the passenger windshield and stopped at the winch mount. Not many of today's pickups can do that...
...no flags necessary.

I could go on and on-they're just cool trucks and I'm now using mine to promote interest in the old military vehicles.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

I HOPE you got a pic of that??

:mrgreen:

bob
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Sorry Bob,
I did not, but haven't mounted the rails yet so I suppose I could stage a shot for you... :)
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
52PLOWERWAGON
SFC
SFC

Post by 52PLOWERWAGON »

well I already had a jeep wanted a truck and we didn't have an m37 in our fleet plus I figured it would be a chic magnet :)
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Gary,

No, not worth the effort..........it's just fun to see the utility of the M37 in action. Having windshield panels that open out and a hood that folds flat sure does increase the things you can carry with an M37. Bet you got some looks that day!

regards,
bob
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

52PLOWERWAGON wrote:... I figured it would be a chic magnet :)
And how has that worked out for you?
Carter
Life Member:
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

Carter wrote:
52PLOWERWAGON wrote:... I figured it would be a chic magnet :)
And how has that worked out for you?
I have noticed the truck seems to attract the older females so I think it is less so a chick magnet, more so a chook magnet :wink:

MM
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

While on display at Aberdeen not one chick came to look at the M but several Mothers and Grandmothers did. Chooks?
Carter
Life Member: