M-37 brakes

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

squeeky0_50
PVT
PVT

M-37 brakes

Post by squeeky0_50 »

Just made my brake bleeder kit out of a gatorade bottle and 3/16 clear hose. Did all 4 wheels, no air in lines, but pedal still goes to floor, only after pumping a lot I get about a half a pedal, and it isn't very firm. What to do. Frustating. I had to bleed because of a leaky wheel cylinder I replaced. Adjusted brakes by turning cam adjusters until slight drag. Truck was delivered to me 9 months ago with leaking wheel cylinder and had the master cylinder with the vent in the filler plug, which after you pump the brakes up 5 or 6 times fluid would come out the vent hole when the brake pedal was let up after pumping. I bled the brakes the old way before by pumping up and holding pedal until went to floor. No pedal then either, unless you pump them several times. Any advice?
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Re: M-37 brakes

Post by w30bob »

Hi Squeeky,

Not sure what you mean when you say you made a bleeder kit, but it sounds like you ran the master cylinder dry while you were bleeding, or there was air trapped in their from previous.........did you bench bleed the master cylinder first, before you bled each wheel cylinder?

regards,
bob
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

with such a small reservoir it is easy to run the mc dry wile bleeding. I like using a pipe or well fitting funnel that can be screwed into the top cap increasing the capacity. I start by gravity bleeding the 1/4in plug on the bulkhead fitting on the inside of the frame and work my way out to the wheels. if there is no air and no pressure break down the mc and inspect.
.............................. use it ...............
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

I would go back to square one and readjust the brake shoes again making sure your getting the slight drag from the top of the brake shoe as well as the bottom.
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Do a search for "brake overhaul" or "power bleeding" and you'll see a ton of posts since a couple of us just completed this job.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500