Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

A Morbid Question....Warning - Not for the squeamish

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

So what would happen to your M37(s) and all the parts you've stockpiled over the years if you were to drop dead tomorrow? I ask this because I came pretty close this Fall and while in the hospital I started thinking about what a nightmare my folks and girlfriend would have if they had to get rid off all those parts I've accumulated in my house, garage and shed. They're in boxes, but not labeled or even grouped together well. They'd have no way of knowing what most of the stuff was, or if any of it was valuable. If they were in a time crunch due to having to sell my house or something I imagine they'd put an add in the local paper, as none of them really know how to use eBay or craigslist. Then when no one replied to the add what would they do? Take it all to the scrapyard maybe? I don't know.....but it got me thinking that all those good parts could get tossed. And what a waste that would be.

So what would happen to your M37 hoard of parts? Have you thought about it at all? Have you considered the burden you'll be placing on your loved ones if you up and went unexpectedly. I think I need to think about this a bit more and come up with a plan. If you've got a good plan please share! All thoughts and ideas are welcome!! :D

Yeah, I know this is a terrible subject to discuss......but it finally hit me that I'm really NOT going to live forever......and my M37s and all those parts just might!

thanks,
bob
xm708
SSGT
SSGT

Re: A Morbid Question....Warning - Not for the squeamish

Post by xm708 »

Not really morbid kind of forward thinking actually. I have taken care of wife and kid with life insurance and insurance on my retirement so it carries on to them for starters. As for M37 stuff luckily my 10 year old is a sponge and learning this stuff quick. I have quite a bit of m37 stuff kicking around mostly used take off stuff unmarked yet my personal stash is labeled so I feel your pain. It happens a lot more than people know. Once again not morbid but good thinking.
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

It's a good thing to think about, preparing for the unexpected is always a good plan at any stage in life with insurances, a last will and testament and a few "go" plans for when the inevitable happens.....
As far as the truck goes, it can be a simple as keeping all truck related parts in one area or set of boxes, mark them as such and do the same with the miscellaneous stuff in the garage, shed etc. If the truck is sold, all related gear goes with it, if Family takes it on, all the stuff they need will be there and all the other non-related stuff in the garage and shed can be passed on or sold accordingly.
Talking about things and setting a plan is common sense and what too few folks do, if you want to take care of your Family after you're gone, start now.....

MM
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

MM beat me to it but it's much like a Will-decide now while you still can in determining what options you have for your M37 and put them in writing so your loved ones know your wishes.

If I can get my "rustic" frame-off done next year I will then consider (when the time comes) donating it to a military museum on the condition that it never be scrapped or sold. If I don't get around to the frame off I would consider handing it off as a gift to a young G741 Forum enthusiast who (I hope) would carry on the tradition of preserving it's history and keeping it (and my memory) alive via this forum. We need to get our young folks interested so they'll carry the torch after we've passed on and I feel that a donated vehicle would ignite such interest.

Other options may surface one day but for now, that's my two-stage plan.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

Unfortunately, "Carrying the torch" often turns into "Using the torch"...

DDG
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

I'd only be afraid that my family would sell my stuff for what I told them I paid for it!
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Post by sturmtyger380 »

I'd only be afraid that my family would sell my stuff for what I told them I paid for it!
I hear that! All my stuff is either in plastic bags or boxes and all labeled. I had to label things because I was getting pissed not remembering what was in things and spending hours going through boxes to find something.

I might be good to create some agreement with another MV collector you could trust, that's not too far away to help come and liquidate items.

Alan
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Good question Bob, Not morbid but practical planning. Some companies who will take a large chunk of change from you and then tell you what they think you should do with what you already have call it "Estate Planning" I call it what the hell am I going to do with all of this stuff. I have been giving it a lot of thought recently since I turned 70 in January and might begin auctioning or selling my accumulated M parts and other militaria that I have gathered over the past 50 years and do not foresee will be needed in the future. I am at the point where it is increasingly difficult to bend, flex and roll under the truck like I used to do due to my back surgery so I ask my self what is the point of having a stock of parts if I am unable to do the work needed to install them? Also, I lost my son who was a partner in the M37 project and just do not feel much like carrying on with out him.The truck that will probably be auctioned off in one of the Government Liquidation web sites that allow non government vehicles like sold some of the M37s from the Jack Tomlin collection we have seen in the not to distant past. Those are the plans for now however I do not know what will happen if I drop dead tomorrow, I have discussed this with my wife but what she will actually do when "that time" comes remains to be seen, just hope "the word of the day" is not dumpster. :shock:
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Hi Bob,

This is not morbid at all, a plan needs to be in place. My wife ask me several years ago how she was supposed to know what stuff was worth or what process had to be taken to liquidate holdings.

I developed very detailed plans (purchase price / market value that is dated / updated yearly), a formal Trust and created a list of "key Go To people" that are good friends, dealers or appraisers to help disperse or transfer control of the MVs & parts and Class 3 stuff. I have this set up with a couple of different scenario's in case my wife and I die in the same wreck. We have no kids so that streamlined the trust. I also set it up so that if my wife and I pass at the same time that control will not be handed to one lone individual :roll: I've learned that even trusted people can let greed get the best of them if given the right opportunity.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

As Carter said, not a morbid question but a valid point. If you have a lot of things a plan needs to be in place. Nobody likes to think about this topic but it benefits your family and friends and will help ease their grief when we move on to the promised land. After I turned 50 I thought about estate planning more and more.

Bert appears to have a great plan in place.

If I do not sell my rig and spares beforehand I plan to put it in the Will to be donated to the museum I was affiliated with back in Ohio. :wink:
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Post by F18hornetm »

I agree not morbid at all but real world thinking.
I'll be 51 this year and our M37 is already older than me.. :D My boys are 29 and 24. I'm blessed the youngest one loves these things and we have bought and built all our MV stuff together. Matter of fact last few things we acquired together is in his name. Just for sake of paper work. Shoot even some shop equipment he half owns, Vertical mill, lathe etc. Plus we have a family business that has 8 trucks and lots of equipment and trailers etc, that need care [all maintenance in house]so I think most of my stuff will be used and stay where it is. And the M37 is really my wifes. She picked it out and bought it. I just gotta get it done before summer. Along with my youngest sons house :shock: Welding one day, driving nails the next gotta love it..

Important to think about it all and discuss with family! thanks for reminder
Carmen
PFC
PFC

Post by Carmen »

What a timely topic. I have been helping a widow of a former member that passed away very unexpectedly. He was doing what he loved and died at a show. His wife had garage's full of stuff. She had no idea what to do with it all. What it all belonged to, cause he had a number of different projects in the works. Well this gentlemen has helped me a number of times in the pass so now it was my turn.

I took pictures of his beautiful M37 posted it on a number of different sites and am happy to report that it is going to a fellow M lover and not to far from home. All money transactions was made between the owner and buyer. All I did was try and get the best price i could for her. She still has lots of other stuff that I am working on. A project M37, a M416 trailer, a M101 Trailer plus piles and piles of parts, books and other military equipment. I have lots of it stored in my warehouse but there is still tons of it left at the house. I have taken pictures of ever thing that has been removed from her house.

I tell you this story because it hit close to home here, I just turned 64 last week and he would have been 61 last month. Nobody plans on dying, hell I am going to live forever! I like to think that if something were to happen to me someone would also help my wife. but this has made me think about my own collection. I have just started to put everything i own on paper and a value for each. For the most part I always told my wife what I paid for an item, but putting it down on paper helps.

In the beginning i felt kind of funny going through all his stuff, but once I sold that M37 and the buyer gave her the money I knew I was doing the right thing.

As I said there is still a ton of stuff to sell and I may have a buyer for the project M37 as well as the M416 trailer in the very near future.

This event has made me think about my own life. So it is never to late to get started. Record all you have with lots of pictures and place a value of what you think it is worth and make copies of it. This way when we are called to that big Motor Pool in the sky we will rest better know that our love ones will not be taken advantage of.

Carmen
m15256
CPL
CPL

Post by m15256 »

I'm going to turn 63 this year and this post caught my attention. I've been to a few funerals lately of friends I knew quite well. Also I've worked on the local volunteer ambulance for 28 years and have picked up (or left for the coroner) more folks in this little town than I want to reflect on. I think some knew they were "checking out" soon and did some planning but most obviously fell over (or got pushed) unexpectedly.
So last weekend I got in touch with another forum member who checks in occasionally. Asked him, if someone gave him a call, would he would come collect all the Dodge boxes in the shed and storage unit and buy the parts or sell them at a fair price and give the proceeds to my kids. Offered him a third for the peace of mind but he refused that part and told me it would be taken care of.
Now I feel better about climbing back up on the roof to shovel off the snow again. I'll certainly leave a lot of loose ends behind but at least the M56 and all those hoarded NOS bits won't go to the local recycler.
RICK
M 152 CDN
M 56 (V41)
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Post by F18hornetm »

Carmen: That is such and admirable thing helping that widow. And to all you guys who have helped others loved ones, Your just good people!!
vtdeucedriver
SFC
SFC

Post by vtdeucedriver »

I will speak from experience after my illness of 5 yrs ago where the doctors were telling my wife, lets see what the next hour brings for 3 days. This has weighed heavy on my mind since. Sad to say but even for me, the vultures showed there heads for me! As my wife would tell me much later after my recovery. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!!! For me its been a inventory system, all in boxes with part numbers and conditions. Its a work in progress since I got better. I have given my wife a couple names that I would trust to help but having my own list, well its peace in my mind.

As for some things................My Hearse Ride WILL have a luggage rack on it.
Green Mountain Military Vehicle Club Army Transportation Association Vietnam

http://linehaulrvn.tripod.com
1951 M37
1954 M37
1953 M62
1967 M54A1C
1968 M54A2C
1968 M52A2
1966 M151A1