Disc brake retrofit kits for M37 and Power Wagon

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Disc brake retrofit kits for M37 and Power Wagon

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

We now have new stock of Dodge disc brake kits. These are designed to replace the drum brakes on the M37 and civilian Power Wagons. They are applicable to all 4 wheels, or can be installed on the front axle only. Can be installed using the single circuit fluid system as original, a dual circuit system, or a fully power boosted 2 or 4 wheel system.

I am tying up loose ends now in order to calculate the per axle price. As soon as everything is finalized, (in the next few days) I'll post all the current cost information here.

If you have questions about the system in general, what is included in a kit, concerns about kit component quality, how it works, what is involved with installation, etc. You can contact Charles at 704-474-4683, or email mseriesrebuild@windstream.net I'm happy to discuss any of this with you.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Re: Disc brake retrofit kits for M37 and Power Wagon

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Charles, WOW great news!
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

Awesome. I was thinking of re-doing my whole brake system. Dual circuit MC, lines, brake cylinders and shoes. I was not looking forward to dealing with all the corrosion and rust I fear might be behind the brake drums. It would be great to ditch the old stuff and bolt on some modern brakes. Hopefully they use stock rims and don't involve sending components across the country for machining.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

ZGjethro wrote:Awesome. I was thinking of re-doing my whole brake system. Dual circuit MC, lines, brake cylinders and shoes. I was not looking forward to dealing with all the corrosion and rust I fear might be behind the brake drums. It would be great to ditch the old stuff and bolt on some modern brakes. Hopefully they use stock rims and don't involve sending components across the country for machining.
This may not be what you wish to hear, but we will never get away from dealing with shipping hubs and custom machining. You and I both wish, however I don't think we'll be seeing new manufacture "rotor ready hubs" hitting the market. Now that that is settled, yes our system is designed to use stock rims. Custom rims will also work fine, but they would have to be built within the realm of working with everything else.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
jimmy_stikx
SGT
SGT

Post by jimmy_stikx »

This is great news Charles
rickv100
SGT
SGT

Post by rickv100 »

Charles,

Are these the same style as UglyTruckling makes?

Rick
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

rickv100 wrote:Charles,

Are these the same style as UglyTruckling makes?

Rick
Not exactly sure what you are asking; anyway, yes our system is similar in some ways, different in others. Our systems have been designed specifically for use on trucks that we rebuild here in house. With that said, most who frequent this forum already know that we don't cut corners or do short cuts in the quality of design, materials, or workmanship in any of our products. Many say we over engineer and over build in all our systems. That is especially true in the areas of steering, brakes, and other areas where absolute reliability and safety could become huge issues as a result. Our motto around the shop is, "if better is possible, good is not enough." Our systems are 100% US made, using premium quality US materials. We go an extra mile in machining the hubs also; common procedure is to machine the outer area of the hub to receive the rotor mounting flange. Ours get more than just that; initially the old bearing cups are pressed out of the hub. At this time the procedure for building a new hub is already underway. The next step is to thoroughly check and true the cup bore shoulders so we are certain that when new cups get pressed in, all aligns and runs perfectly true. Skipping this all important step is foolish in reality. Since we started doing our own disc system, we learned right away that there is no perfect hub, not even NOS ones. We attribute this to machining techniques of the day, machining practice of today is so much more precise than it was in the 50's; it's unreal the differences that can be made in components with current machining practices.; (CNC machines.) We have had to go through all this in a slow process to figure out all suspect areas in building a good hub, this is why it took so long for us to get finished systems ready for marketing; we took the time and funding necessary to do it first class. You will see this clearly when you are able to see how our hubs run as compared to some rebuilt disc hubs previously available.

This brings another issue to mind. I can't tell you how many times I've been asked over years, why can't I get a good balance on the tires on my M37 or Power Wagon. I could only answer that in common reasoning, like good radial tires, truly round rims and tires, latest computer balancing technique, on and on. Since working on disc system hubs and correcting all the flaws in them that Dodge never felt to be important, well I've learned a lot, never would have known if we had not set out to build the perfect hub, or as near perfect as we could. When you get into the repro realm using today's technique being used by a machinist who cares enough to really want it right, it is amazing what you can find and make better than it has ever been before. I've installed disc systems from a few different manufacturers over the years; I have not seen any systems built with attention to detail as ours have been. We have designed and built our disc systems to be worthy of going onto the best top end trucks we build. If we sell you a disc kit; you can expect that the same system that we install in house will be coming to you for installation on your truck.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

MSeriesRebuild wrote:We now have new stock of Dodge disc brake kits. These are designed to replace the drum brakes on the M37 and civilian Power Wagons. They are applicable to all 4 wheels, or can be installed on the front axle only. Can be installed using the single circuit fluid system as original, a dual circuit system, or a fully power boosted 2 or 4 wheel system.

I am tying up loose ends now in order to calculate the per axle price. As soon as everything is finalized, (in the next few days) I'll post all the current cost information here.

If you have questions about the system in general, what is included in a kit, concerns about kit component quality, how it works, what is involved with installation, etc. You can contact Charles at 704-474-4683, or email mseriesrebuild@windstream.net I'm happy to discuss any of this with you.
Charles, can you post any additional information as to the pricing for the various configurations available (front disc, four wheel disc, dual circuit, boosted, etc.), or is that best done by phone?
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
rickv100
SGT
SGT

Post by rickv100 »

Charles,

Thanks for the sales copy but that does not answer the question.

Rick
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Elwood wrote:
MSeriesRebuild wrote:We now have new stock of Dodge disc brake kits. These are designed to replace the drum brakes on the M37 and civilian Power Wagons. They are applicable to all 4 wheels, or can be installed on the front axle only. Can be installed using the single circuit fluid system as original, a dual circuit system, or a fully power boosted 2 or 4 wheel system.

Charles, can you post any additional information as to the pricing for the various configurations available (front disc, four wheel disc, dual circuit, boosted, etc.), or is that best done by phone?
We still don't have everything worked out with pricing yet, we have been really busy and while I'm hammering away at it, I just have not had the time to finalize everything yet.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

rickv100 wrote:Charles,

Thanks for the sales copy but that does not answer the question.

Rick
If you will go back and read the first sentence in my post, you will see that I'm unsure of what you wanted to know. I hit some of the highlights of differences in our brake kits from some others. I never meant it as a sales pitch. If you have specific questions, you can post them here, or you can give me a call, happy to give it my best shot.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

We have at long last gotten through everything and everybody that has been involved in making our new disc brake kits a reality. We also realized during all this that it is impossible to market these kits at a cost that is profitable to us at this time. The investment is simply too large with all the specialty dies and other tooling that had to be built in order to produce the necessary components. We have settled on a current cost of $785 per axle kit.

1 axle kit includes:

2 hubs, completely rebuilt, with both new inner and outer bearing cups installed and a welded flange for attaching the disc rotor. These hubs have been extensively built and are guaranteed to run true. **CORE HUBS** are required to be exchanged prior to us shipping out new components. We will inspect all core hubs to be sure they are rebuildable. In the event we find a bad hub that is not suitable to build, you will be contacted with details.

1 left and 1 right caliper bracket

2 spacer plates to insure exact original rim spacing.

16 rotor mounting bolts

10 caliper bracket mounting bolts with necessary washers, etc. All mounting hardware is grade 8 quality fasteners.

1 installation manual

All other necessary components are available locally from auto supply outlets. You will find a part number list in our installation manual for NAPA top of the line components needed to complete your system. This offers a quick source for the correct and best quality components you will need.

We can supply kits with all parts needed at extra cost if you desire; however sourcing items locally will result in a significant cost savings on shipping heavier items such as rotors.

Our kits are built from premium quality materials using the best CNC machining technology. Everything is 100% made and assembled in the USA.

We are happy to answer any questions you may have, 704-474-4683 or email mseriesrebuild@windstream.net
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
jimmy_stikx
SGT
SGT

Post by jimmy_stikx »

Charles,

Looking at disk conversion kits for more common vehicles, I'd say yours' is quite reasonably priced for those want to stick with stock axle housings.