Southwest Ohio vehicle owners

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Cav Trooper
SGT
SGT

Southwest Ohio vehicle owners

Post by Cav Trooper »

I know of a few military vehicle owners in SW Ohio ie; Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton area but, hardly anyone seems to try to get together. I belong to the Ohio Motor Pool but most of their meetings and gatherings are in northern Ohio, way too far to drive my M37. I don't have a trailer and would have to drive to the events. Doesn't seem like many cities around here have any interest in inviting MV's to events and the ones that do are 35 or more miles away. I do attend some of the cruise ins and car shows and the kids love the truck as well as guys who have served. It's a good ice breaker. Steel Soldiers guys do a few things, a parade here and there and some off roading over in Indiana but, that's still 30 plus miles or more away and I don't off road. Most of us seem to be closet collectors and don't do much in public functions. Maybe I'm just not tied into the right group. Most of the time when I show up at a cruise in or car show, I'm the only MV there, kind of a misfit.

CT
HHT 2nd ACR
Merrell Barracks, Nuremberg, Ger.
1967/68
71st AHC, 14th AHB, Americal Div.
Chu-Lai, S. VietNam
Cav Trooper
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Re: Southwest Ohio vehicle owners

Post by k8icu »

Well I have three strikes against me :lol: 1. I'm in Cleveland which is the opposite end of the state. 2. My truck is still in a gazillion pieces in the garage with no end in sight, and 3. With a full time job and full time business I don't have time to go to events.

But I know what you mean. With the exception of the Ohio Motor Pool's Armed Forces Day and the Buckeye MVC rally in July and a few other little get togethers there isn't much in the way of MV activity in the state.

I'd say start your own group. You'd be surprised who'll come out of the woodwork if they knew you were starting something.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
MarkPick
CPL
CPL

Post by MarkPick »

I am in Cincinnati and would love to cruise around. Finally got all the bugs worked out (for now!) and am ready to run. I drove mine home from work today, 17 miles one way, like everyone else I have to take the back roads, but made it with no issues. Gonna run it back down to work tomorrow.
USAF Retired
Desert Storm
Iraqi Freedom
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

You know guys, that your issue isn't just Ohio, it's most everywhere. I go through the same thing here in Utah which is much more sparsely populated. I only know of our forum mate Paladin in this state; the MVPA Registry only shows 25 total members in Utah, and the local club is still considering joining the MVPA after being formed in 2007. I didn't join that group due to their previous stance about the MVPA, and when I inquired about their group they immediately tried to stick me with a number of projects before I even joined, so I didn't join.

I'll venture out a bit more once Spring arrives and figure out what's best for me regarding clubs, events, etc. I meet nice folks whenever I attend HMV meets, but there are never any local meets-the closest event to me this year was in Fruitland, Idaho, an 800 mile round trip. Needless to say I did not drive my M37....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
m-11
SGT
SGT

Post by m-11 »

I'm in the same situation out here. There was a club in the middle of the state but I believe it folded because their website hasn't been updated in over 2 years. I know I'm not the only one around here with MVs because I have seen a couple deuces, a 5 ton, and a MOG driving around but never the same way I'm going. :(
outsider
PFC
PFC

Post by outsider »

After meeting some of the other local MV owners we have started to do informal gatherings at car shows and such. This summer we did it for the first time in a big way at the Gilmore Car Museum's summer show in August. We had 13 MV's in attendance at this show.

40 acres of all kinds of different vintage and antique vehicles and us. :mrgreen:

Steve
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

That's a nice line-up-thanks for sharing, Steve!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500