TEMP SENDING UNIT

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

lten1063
PVT
PVT

TEMP SENDING UNIT

Post by lten1063 »

Where is or would the temprature sending unit be located on the the engine. I looked high and low / forward and back and I can't find it? I also found a fitting that is screwed in to a cup on the right side of the engine and about midways to the head and bell housing that has a 7/16 bolt head holding the cup on. What is it for and what doe's it do? The tube is missing and where does it go?

Later Joe
Tuko
SSGT
SSGT

Re: TEMP SENDING UNIT

Post by Tuko »

Below the oil canister

51 Dodge M37 W/W 4BT/NV4500

My G741 Registry Entry
Tuko
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tuko »

As far as the 2nd part of your post goes I'm having a hard time picturing what it could be
51 Dodge M37 W/W 4BT/NV4500

My G741 Registry Entry
lten1063
PVT
PVT

Post by lten1063 »

Tuko wrote:Below the oil canister

Thanks tuko. I will try and get a pic of the area in ? and get back with you.

Later Joe
Ray505
PVT
PVT

Post by Ray505 »

I think the item you are looking at is part of the crankcase ventilation system. If so, there should be a tube going to the intake manifold near the carb. Hope this helps.
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Ray505 wrote:I think the item you are looking at is part of the crankcase ventilation system. If so, there should be a tube going to the intake manifold near the carb. Hope this helps.
There's one for sale on ebay now as part of a lot: http://www.ebay.com/itm/military-Dodge- ... 66&vxp=mtr

This is the piece you're looking for, plus there are some fittings needed (but not in this photo) to connect it to the intake manifold.

“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
lten1063
PVT
PVT

Re: The Cup

Post by lten1063 »

Thanks guys! But to be sure we are talking about the same thing here is a pic of it.
http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgal ... p?cat=3843

Which would make good sense of it being the crank case vent syst. which I had a good feeling it was but want to be sure. I will check out e-pay link.

Later Joe
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Re: The Cup

Post by Elwood »

lten1063 wrote:Thanks guys! But to be sure we are talking about the same thing here is a pic of it.
http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgal ... p?cat=3843

Which would make good sense of it being the crank case vent syst. which I had a good feeling it was but want to be sure. I will check out e-pay link.

Later Joe
That's it, hiding behind the exhaust manifold at the right rear corner of the engine block.

Here are the pieces to go between the "L" shaped pipe and the intake manifold. The parts in group "T" are for the fording valve, and some trucks have had this assembly removed and replaced by a straight-through connection. If you're not going to install the fording equipment, you probably don't need it. The valve in group "P" is the Donaldson valve (also known as the anti-backfire or PCV valve), and is an essential component of the crankcase breather system - don't leave it out! :!:

If you don't already have the ORD 9 SNL G-741 parts catalogue, it's an invaluable aid in identifying missing parts and the order of assembly.

“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776