m-37 budd wheel modification

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

squeeky0_50
PVT
PVT

m-37 budd wheel modification

Post by squeeky0_50 »

where to start, i have been all over the internet looking to convert my budd wheel center, 16x6.5 inch to a 16x8 tubeless. Have talked to stockton wheel, staszwork, marsh racing wheel, wheels.now, and other places. As of last year Vintage Power Wagon sells a 17x8 inch tubeless wheel for 375.00 plain, or 450.00 powdercoated. I just bought 4 new 13/38/16 Swampers so I would need a 16x8 inch wheel using my centers. The problem is everywhere I call I get a different answer as to using my centers. I currently run the 13/38/16 swampers on the old budd 16x6.5 inch with tubes that have been on the truck since 1988. I would like to run a tubeless rim with the new tires. I called Vintage and asked them if they could get me 16x8 and they said no, there is more availability in 17 inch tires. I have no idea who is making these 17x8 wheels for them. Anybody out there have any info? Stockton says they could make them, but I dont want to wait for months. Also, does anybody have the stock budd wheel and brake drum specs? My truck is out of state and I cant measure the outside brake drum diameter. As far as I know the stock wheel has a 7 inch backspace and goes over the stock brake drum. I also need the inside measurement of the back of the wheel rim. Any info would be appreciated.
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Re: m-37 budd wheel modification

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

When I was first looking, Stockton would never give me the same answer twice, so I ran away from them in a hurry. MRW having never built our Budd bolt pattern before, and with me not having any spare centers to send them to use, they built new flat centers to me drawing of the Budd pattern.

They have built several since for others in both 16" and 17" wheels.

I can send you the drawing I made and provided to MRW if you wish.
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
DAP
SSGT
SSGT

Post by DAP »

Stockton has built numerous wheels for me using the Budd Center. They fit the stock brakes and Tim Petersons disk conversion with 1/4" to spare clearance when the pads wear down. However I am tired of the long delays with Stockton. I sent a known Stockton built wheel to Marsh Racing (March) and they matched it. They are sending it to me this week?. The delays were my fault/If it looks the same I will post on here with some results. Unfortunately my AML is keeping my blood levels low after this last round of chemo. I only have so much energy. Will post when I have something to say and energy to say it.
All in Air Force blue and black trim
1962 M37B1
rectangular window hardtop, converted to Hercules 4 cyl diesel-intercooled & turbo charged, 12V, disc brakes
1962 M116A1 Generator trailer
1962 M116A1 Pioneer tool trailer
1964 M101A1 3/4 ton trailer
DAP
SSGT
SSGT

Get your M37 Budd tubeless wheel made by MRW

Post by DAP »

The wheels came back from Marsh Racing and I am very very happy with the result. Here is what I did. Since I knew the back spacing on my rims that Stockton had done was correct (it clears the drum and disk setups with 1/4" to spare when the pads wear down) I sent them that rim as a sample and asked them to build me one up just like it. They could use the Stockton rim to determine back spacing and the correct outer shell. They matched it exactly! If they had not marked them in separate boxes I could not have determined which was which. As soon as I am well enough or can get some help (my son arrives today) I am going to box up my other two rims and have Marsh build me two more. That will complete my set needed for my trailers. Technical data from their invoice:
They took my Budd rim 16X7X7 7/8" 5 hole split rim (no ring) and drilled out the rivets and machined it to the right diameter to fit the shell $60
They used a large drop 16X8 shell $72 and welded them all together
I asked for gloss black industrial powder coating $50
Plus shipping of the 2 wheels back to me.
Prices might vary depending on what you send them.
I think this beats Stockton hands down. Stockton always did really good work but I had to measure my time in months waiting. I think Marsh says they can do it in weeks. I suspect the only thing that would delay them is if they couldn't get their hands on the outer shell. I think my request to have them powder coated added a week or so. They turned it from my door back to my door in less than 2 months. Please keep in mind most of the delay was on my part because of being in the hospital with AML.
I have a bunch of pictures at http://www.g741.org/photogallery/main.p ... emId=12663
These pictures show the Stockton rims with 11X16 Michelen radials and how much they protrude. I do not get "rooster tails" when I drive in the rain as the tire is still tucked under the fenders. The tires also do not bump the frame when turning.
http://www.g741.org/photogallery/main.p ... ewsIndex=1
http://www.g741.org/photogallery/main.p ... ewsIndex=1
Feel free to copy what I have done. If you do use Marsh Racing Wheels mention that I sent them to you and ask to talk to Brant. He was knowledgeable and very easy to work with. Hope this is helpful to somebody.
All in Air Force blue and black trim
1962 M37B1
rectangular window hardtop, converted to Hercules 4 cyl diesel-intercooled & turbo charged, 12V, disc brakes
1962 M116A1 Generator trailer
1962 M116A1 Pioneer tool trailer
1964 M101A1 3/4 ton trailer
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

DAP,

Sounds like great work and good prices. Glad to see another set of great looking wheels!
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
Brigand
SGT
SGT

Post by Brigand »

Ric Tudor who is a great source of PW parts was making a 17" wheel. He had a set on his truck at the Iowa rally and they looked great. I believe VPW is handling production and marketing now but Ric is very approachable about the details of his process.

rtudor1958@gmail.com
Brigand aka Bob Thompson

I would never join any club that would have me as a member.
squeeky0_50
PVT
PVT

Post by squeeky0_50 »

Do you have a contact phone number for ric tudor? Or an address. I have heard about him but cannot locate him, there are 78 Ric Tudors in the u.s. any info would be appreciated, thank you.
anonymous_1
PVT
PVT

Post by anonymous_1 »

Great information guys! Thank you! I think this solved my problem!
1953 M37 runs and moves after sitting abandoned for 15 years
OIF & OEF Veteran