Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Tailgate Chain Covers ?

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

I've seen both canvas and rubber tailgate chain covers for sale and I'm wondering which came on the trucks originally. The ORD lists PN 7005441 for the covers, but doesn't say what they're made of. I see there's a guy on Ebay listing a set of NOS covers which he says are for Vietnam era trucks and they're rubber. So did they all come with rubber.....or did the earlier trucks get canvas and the latter trucks get rubber?

thanks,
bob
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Re: Tailgate Chain Covers ?

Post by refit1701 »

i always thought they were canvas. I have never seen a rubber chain cover. I just put mine on last Saturday.
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
Tuko
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tuko »

Rubber will hold water and rust out the chains quicker too
51 Dodge M37 W/W 4BT/NV4500

My G741 Registry Entry
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Mine on my '54 were canvas.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

As far as I know the truck was issued with canvas chain covers, but in Vietnam because the wet tropical weather was a killer of all things canvas often times when the canvas wore out the field expedient fix was to use a length of rubber hose as a replacement because the rubber was A: in abundance in most motorpools and B: would not rot out as fast as the canvas.

That's my $0.02 on the subject for what it's worth.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
pwrwagonfire
SSGT
SSGT

Post by pwrwagonfire »

k8icu wrote:As far as I know the truck was issued with canvas chain covers, but in Vietnam because the wet tropical weather was a killer of all things canvas often times when the canvas wore out the field expedient fix was to use a length of rubber hose as a replacement because the rubber was A: in abundance in most motorpools and B: would not rot out as fast as the canvas.

That's my $0.02 on the subject for what it's worth.

THIS I bet is what the answer is!

-T
Black Ops
PFC
PFC

Post by Black Ops »

That's my brothers listing on ebay, my truck is in the photo. Here is a picture of one in the original box dated 1967, the NSN is in parts book. I also had some that were in bags instead of the cardboard box. There are holes in the covers to allow water to drain.
Attachments
m37 chain cover.jpg
m37 chain cover.jpg (119.55 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
1952 m37
1956 R2 Crash Truck
1953 m101
1958 xm389
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

I'd have to say that that had to be response to Vietnam. I know canvas didn't hold up over there worth a darn so that may be why the army had the rubber one produced.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
mike_l
SGT
SGT

Post by mike_l »

The FSN (2540-700-5441) matches the PN (7005441) in the '55 dated ORD 9 TM. It looks like the rubber may be the earlier, possibly original, cover. Glancing through the TMs doesn't help. The photos show a slender sleeve on the tailgate chains but the detail isn't enough to make out whether canvas or rubber. I think these rubber ones were used on the M715s also.

There are a couple of PS magazine articles about replacing the OE covers (doesn't specify material) with canvas versions made at the local support shop. No doubt it would have been faster & cheaper to fab up a set of replacement canvas sleeves from on-hand canvas stock than wait for the supply chain.
Mike
Marion, IN
1954 M37 W/OW
1953 M101
Indiana MVPA
kelley
PFC
PFC

Post by kelley »

1 bicycle innertube would make quite a few chain covers. :wink:
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Kelley,

Actually........maybe not. Not to be a stick in the mud, but I had a 67 F100 stepside as my first vehicle and I used to make the tailgate chain covers as you suggest....out of bicycle inner tubes. They'd sure fit nice, but not last long. I don't think inner tubes are designed with UV protection (since they never see the sun in a tire), and the rubber breaks down pretty fast. The rubber would get brittle and crack first where the chain bent when you put the tailgate up. Of course inner tubes are cheap, and if you keep your M stored inside, they may last a bit........otherwise make a few pairs if you want to keep them looking good. :D

In regards to the canvas vs rubber issue......I checked the web and came up blank. But when the trucks were made at Chrysler they probably came with the same cover material they used on their Power Wagon tailgate chain covers.....which was probably rubber. Not sure where the idea for canvas covers came from.

later,
bob
Brett
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Brett »

I used some sleeving for hydraulic hoses for my chain covers. I picked it up from an industrial hose shop I deal with at work. Its Black and made of some sort of synthetic material. I cut it with a hot knife, so it won't unravel. It was less than a dollar per foot.

Brett
kelley
PFC
PFC

Post by kelley »

Hi Bob,
That's not being a stick in the mud, that's the voice of experience. I hadn't considered the impact of UV rays on an inner tube. I guess i won't be making a fortune selling rubber chain covers on E bay. :(