6,12,24v coil issue

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

DAP
SSGT
SSGT

Re: 6,12,24v coil issue

Post by DAP »

Ah HA Charles, you just identified another reason to convert (you know half my battle is figuring out the right questions to ask to get ALL the information - LOL). So anybody that has an M37 that sits in high humidity (NC for me) more than it runs this would be worth it when you want to start it up and go after a long sit and not have to fiddle with it. Although it doesn't have the same urgency as a fire truck needing to go NOW it still is another plus for electronic iginition over points. Thank you for the additional info. I am not near ready to make an"engine decision" yet on my 20 year project but collecting all this info helps for when I need to weight all the pros and cons of rebuilt origianl engine vs. diesel vs. something else.
All in Air Force blue and black trim
1962 M37B1
rectangular window hardtop, converted to Hercules 4 cyl diesel-intercooled & turbo charged, 12V, disc brakes
1962 M116A1 Generator trailer
1962 M116A1 Pioneer tool trailer
1964 M101A1 3/4 ton trailer
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Yes it really is just a common sense issue. Points don't like high humidity and long periods of sitting idle. Once you figure out what is going on, most people look for ways to change the situation in an effort to move away from the issue that is causing the problem. Sealed ignition units helped us immensely in that direction.

Conceding to the "nature of the beast" has never been an option for me if it is within my realm to successfully change the situation. Upgrading to a sealed electronic ignition module is easy, and is a very modest investment for a vast improvement. I just don't care to deal with the nature of the beast when such a simple, economical change completely takes care of a number of annoying issues for good. The M151A2 was the last of the military vehicles that used a sealed 24-volt distributor; even they were changed over to a pointless, sealed ignition years before all were out of government service. Pretty remarkable, but even the military figured out it was a great improvement to move away from points. This is my honest opinion, based 100% on past experience.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

That brush truck story has sold me on the idea-thanks Charles for sharing it! I assume that Pertronix kit will fit a 12V distributor with the small-notch cap?
Thanks,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Cal_Gary wrote:That brush truck story has sold me on the idea-thanks Charles for sharing it! I assume that Pertronix kit will fit a 12V distributor with the small-notch cap?
Thanks,
Gary
A sealed unit is available for the distributor you have, but it is different from the 24-volt module that works in the military distributor.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
DW9

Post by DW9 »

Wow guys I was just trying to get a 24yr old stored beast to breath fire... which I did by the way. I might add that I ran a "mixed" system, ie a 24v ignition and a 12volt acc. with a 6volt starter. she spit a few times and then ran. On the third warm up the last ring expanded and all in all she purrrrrrrs. Now to address the issue of money, my intent is to sell this engine as a runner in need of a rebuild, so I didn't want to spend too much to make some. I have a nice perkins 4 that will be taking over, and before I get it from the purist, it will do you no good this will be my truck for I hope my next 50yrs so I want what I want. Besides somebody has to add more supply to the demand. I would like to comment on one small thing though. Thanks to all those who actually listened to my questions and answered them, it is why I am here. Now does anyone need a flat head?
DJ
SSGT
SSGT

Post by DJ »

I like to keep my old trucks and Jeeps stock. I guess I'm a purist and enjoy tinkering on them. The "nature of the beast" is what makes them what they are. As far as "going all the way across the world to get across the street" a lot of times the trip is more enjoyable than the destination. Everyone is entitled to do what they want,it's there truck and there money. None of the parts pedalers are going to get any of my money for an electronic module.
DW9

Post by DW9 »

ANY body know how to post vids?
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

You can post a link to Youtube, use the URL when posting a reply.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR