Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Is this nuts......or what?

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

Ok, I've only been in the MV hobby going on 3 years now this spring.......but I've been to more than a few meets and bought lots (maybe too many) M37 parts in that time. So I think I have a decent idea of what M37 parts go for (or should go for). But lately I've seen some very disturbing prices on parts on Ebay. I know, it's Ebay, where a fool and his money are soon parted..........but is this an indication of what's coming down the pike for the rest of us??

Last week I saw bidding on an NOS set of rear fenders get to $325......when there's been another seller on Ebay that's had them listed at a Buy-It-Now price of $125 for the past 3 years (and still does). So that's just lack of effort on the part of the buyer........a little looking around and he could have saved some serious dough. So that one doesn't count. But a few months back an NOS distributor sold for close to $900 bucks. I don't know if the buyer is on this forum, but the seller is, but his secret is safe with me...........I'll never tell. Hey, the bidders ran it up that high, all the seller did was listed it and then sat back in amazement until it was over. So good for him. And no it wasn't me. :D

Then I found this gem tonight..........check it out!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2910762003 ... rid=229466

I've posted where anyone can get the NOS shackles for $6 apiece, and PM if you want to know where to get the NOS shackle pins for $2 apiece.........so that leaves $339 for the pair of shackle brackets. Anybody thinking that a pair of shackle brackets should cost $339....even nicely painted ones? :shock:

Hey...........it just dawned on me..........if this is what cleaned and painted M37 parts are going to go for in the future........I'll start cleaning, painting, and selling mine......and by next year I'll have enough to buy that Sherman tank I always wanted. :mrgreen:

Do they have good forums for Sherman tanks???

regards,
bob

PS.....if the buyer of that distributor is on this forum I'm not knocking you for buying it. I'm just commenting on how high a cost people are willing to pay for parts that I feel should (and have in the past) cost much less. For example, I have the card of a vendor I see every year at the MTA and Aberdeen meets who has an NOS distributor for sale for $200. I always thought it was too much money........this year I'm heading right to his table and buying that sucker!!! Then Ebay...........here I come.
JimC
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Is this nuts......or what?

Post by JimC »

I remember when P-51 Mustangs sold for $100. A few years later, I turned one down for $8500. You priced one recently?
:-)
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

I felt like a chump when I bought a pair of the "thin" shackles and brackets for $35. And the brackets were bent, but that was disclosed. I will sell them for a mere $250 as I bought straight thick shackles:)

When I see hyper inflated prices on Ebay, I post a question about why the price is 10x the going price to the seller. I don't think the seller can delete my question, and all buyers can read it.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

They sold for $406. :shock:

later,
bob
xm708
SSGT
SSGT

Post by xm708 »

It is very odd that some of the stuff goes crazy I can attest to that. I was shocked at that distributor going so high That seller made out well.... It is true people pay crazy money when they get caught up in the bidding frenzy.. As for the questions posted on ebay it is the sellers perogative to post that question for all to see or just answer it and not post it just so we all know.. I have been on ebay for a long time and they themselves are greedy sob's they get a final value fee and now they even charge a percentage on shipping so to not lose money you have to charge extra to cover it and then if you get paypal as the payer they get a cut too !! paypal by the way is an ebay owned company.... holy crap 406 for shackles and brackets I thought 100 was good money ! maybe I can buy them back spray them pretty and resell them ???
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi XM,

I don't know if it's just people getting caught up in the bidding or new people in the MV hobby who haven't made the parts connections or attended swap meets. They're just sitting back waiting for what they need to come up on ePay (and pay and pay) and they just pay whatever it takes to win the auction. I've overbid for something like that. When I first got my first M37 about 3 years ago I knew absolutely nothing about them or where to get parts. I hadn't even joined the MVPA yet. One of the first things I noticed was that the primer pump was missing from the dash (but the fittings were still on the manifold) so I figured that finding the pump might be hard. I don't know why I figured that.........but I did. Low and behold I found a completed auction on eBay for an NOS primer kit. The description described it as rare, which confirmed my belief, and there were like 22 bidders and it sold for $250. About week later another one came up and I figured I'd better get this one.......so I jumped in the fray and won it for something like $240! A bargain compared to that previous one. Then as time went on I started seeing them pop up on Ebay every once in a while....only each time they were selling for less and less. Now I see them all the time selling for $50. Because I was naïve and a bit stupid it cost me a bunch of money. Color me green. :mrgreen:

So I think when NOS distributors sell for $900 and shackle mounts and shackles sell for $400.....it's to bidders who are too lazy to make phone calls, join forums, or attend swap meets. Hey, more power to them.......hopefully the sellers are using that money to save and restore another military vehicle.

But it is a little nuts out there at times. :D

regards,
bob
Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Wayne64 »

Hope I don't see a trend starting. I collect old small "kicker" outboards. A running complete motor is not worth much, yet as most of what we have the parts are worth more. What guy's are doing are breaking down a restore-able outboard to make some $$$. I hope that the M37s doesn't go that route. BTW, I started selling and buying on eBay in 2000. As of now it's only buy and no bidding for me, BIN or nothing. Ebay has gotten enough of my money!
MY Life Past and Present
http://crayonmedia.com/wayne/
Brett
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Brett »

Okay, its not MV related, but I found this one today while browsing through craigslist. Seems pretty steep to me for an air filter that fits a lot of applications.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/pts/4342641083.html

Brett
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Ah Brett...........it has the word "Corvette" in the title.........so it's ok. Those guys will pay that for an NOS bolt! :mrgreen:

regards,
bob