oil filter canister w/o drain

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

LickskilletM37
PVT
PVT

oil filter canister w/o drain

Post by LickskilletM37 »

I was removing my cylinder head and in the process had to remove the oil filter canister. It was at this time that I first noticed that it does not have a drain plug. I just recently got it running, so I've haven't yet changed the filter.

My M37 is a 1952 model. Is it normal for the canister to not have any provision for a drain plug?

Thanks,

Chuck
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Re: oil filter canister w/o drain

Post by ZGjethro »

My 52 has a drain plug. I am hoping to put the head back on any day now. Just waiting on a head gasket
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Chuck,

If your truck has it's original Fram oil filter it should have a drain. It's located near the bottom hose fitting on the angled bottom of the housing. If it doesn't have the drain I'm not sure what oil filter housing you have on there. Check out the pic.

regards,
bob

. by w30bob, on Flickr
LickskilletM37
PVT
PVT

Post by LickskilletM37 »

Bob,

Mine looks exactly like yours but without the drain. The conical section on the bottom was also completely filled with black sludge as thick as rear-end grease, which suggests that it hasn't been serviced in some time.

Chuck
tbone1004
SSGT
SSGT

Post by tbone1004 »

my '51 doesn't have a drain plug either. Let me tell you how much of a pain in the a$$ it is to remove that thing to drain it properly....
LickskilletM37
PVT
PVT

Post by LickskilletM37 »

I think I may have a plug welded in, or replace it with one that has a plug.

What size is the plug? Is it just pipe thread?
tbone1004
SSGT
SSGT

Post by tbone1004 »

you can technically replace it with whatever you want. Fumoto, normal drain, completely up to you. A 1/4" NPT plug would certainly do the trick though
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

Interestingly, ORD 9 lists 3 oil filter housings (Purolator, Deluxe, and Fram), but doesn't differentiate them by vehicle SN as it usually does. But all 3 housings list a drain plug, which is 1/4" pipe threads, brass. I have seen some civilian filter housings without a drain plug....but not military. But I'm no expert on this stuff.

regards,
bob
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

that sludge means its working! the bypass filters are very good at getting the finest particles and the acid out of the oil. in that repsect they work better than fulll flow oil filters. the best set up would be to have both like the Dodge Medium Duty and HD 361-3 and 413-3
Paul in Kempner, TX
PFC
PFC

Post by Paul in Kempner, TX »

Before there were spin-off oil filters, most mechanics had an oil siphon tool that they used to empty the oil filter housings. That was how we all did it. Often, that tool is still found in the bargain tool box at auto supply stores.
Paul Cook at the Kempner Power Wagon Museum MVPA#27246

"You have to GO BUY the book before you can GO BY the book."
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

IIRC, WWII Dodges were equipped with filter housings without drains and it seems likely that some were installed on M37s as replacements or because so many were available when M series engine production began.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
Rick C
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Rick C »

The majority of the trucks I owned didn't have drains. Drain or not, eventually you gotta clean out the canister manually.... the drain doesn't get all the crap out of the bottom. Another issue....boy is it tight getting a container under the plug to catch it all.....
Rick
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

My filter housing has a Drain but like Rick said its hard to get a can under there so I use a Turkey baster and a coffee can . Works great for me..

Sal
:mrgreen:
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
pwrwagonfire
SSGT
SSGT

Post by pwrwagonfire »

I do power wagon oil changes on the regular, and they have a very similar canister housing.

Instead of removing it to drain, I use a large turkey baster to suck the oil out of the bottom, then wipe the gunk out with a few shop rags, this method seems to work pretty well.

good luck,

-T