did 1954 m37 trucks have the fuel primer on them

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

davek
PFC
PFC

did 1954 m37 trucks have the fuel primer on them

Post by davek »

i just bought a 54 m37 and wanted to know if they came with the fuel system primer. i live in washington state and it gets cold here in the winter time. thanks dave
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Re: did 1954 m37 trucks have the fuel primer on them

Post by 52 M-42 »

The primer pumps were generally part of the arctic winterization kits. However, they also were available as a separate item. They are an "accessory item" so they can be found on any year. Location is more important. You would not find them on trucks in Vietnam, but you would find them on trucks in Alaska or Korea.

As for living in Washington state, it will all depend on where you live in Washington State. I live near Lake Washington, and it honestly never really gets cold enough here to ever need it (very seldom, anyway). If you live in Omak or Colville, you may be very glad to have it; especially if your truck lives outside in the winter.

I have a primer pump system in my truck, and I've used it in the winter when my truck lived outside. I didn't "need" it, but it was convenient and I think they are kind of cool (I also love the floor starter pedal because you never see them anymore).

So, it's mostly just a matter of taste unless you are in a part of the country that gets frigid in the winter.

52 M-42
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Dave,

On the Production Changes page it says the Engine Priming was discontinued in May of 1952 (SN 80026807).

regards,
bob
pwrwagonfire
SSGT
SSGT

Post by pwrwagonfire »

I cannot tell you about where they were found originally, however I have seen a couple NOS ones for sale on ebay in the last month or so, so they are available if you keep looking in the right places!

-T
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Like T said....they're around. When I got my AF truck year before last I didn't realize the primer kits were available, as I didn't know the military vehicle hobby at all and didn't know about all the NOS parts available. So I ended up in a bidding war on Ebay when I thought I struck gold and found an NOS primer kit still in the box.......and I stupidly won. I think I paid something ridiculous like $150 for it. Since then they pop up pretty regularly on eBay and go for half that price. As dumb as I was.........I've seen people pay as much as $250 for the kit. It's the same kit used on the M38 and M38A1, so when you search check those applications too. The primer for the M35 is physically bigger and I don't know if they offered a kit for the M715.

regards,
bob
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

Is the primer pump you guys are talking about the manual lever on the mechanical fuel pump? I pulled the pump off of my '52 truck when I went to an electric pump, but I have saved it along with other original take of parts, like the air intake and oil bath filter.
Tuko
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tuko »

It's a dash mounted primer located lower left of the steering wheel
51 Dodge M37 W/W 4BT/NV4500

My G741 Registry Entry
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

do all the 230 military intakes have three np threaded ports for the spray nozzles ? all the Canadian trucks I have seen have a provision on the dash is it the same for American 37s?

I was thinking it would be fun to connect the suction line up to a bottle of white oil and have a on board fog/smoke machine 8)
.............................. use it ...............
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

All four of my CDN M37s have the primer equipped. I haven't ever really needed to use them to start but then its not really that cold here. I like to have all the gadgets and will keep mine operational. As RMS mentioned, the military intakes all have the connections from the primer, civilians are not drilled and tapped.

Jess
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

Tuko wrote:It's a dash mounted primer located lower left of the steering wheel
Thanks. I have not seen this before. Can anyone post a picture of this system?
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

ZG,

Here you go.........this is the whole kit.

regards,
bob

primer by w30bob, on Flickr
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

Thanks for the photo Bob. I just wanted to know if I had anything like it on my truck, which I don't.
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Just in case someone needs to know if their kit is complete, or how to install the engine primer kit, I have scanned a copy of the original instructions. PM me if you want a complete version in PDF format.

“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I saw no indication of plumbing,etc. on my '54. I've started the truck at minus 6 degrees with no difficulty-just pulled the choke and cranked her over.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

Mine was built in March of 53 and had no evidence of a primer. I have heard in the past (probably here) that they were prone to leaking and eventually the thought of having fuel in the cab was considered a bad thing.
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box