Radiator Question

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

PVT
PVT

Radiator Question

Post by 002 »

I am a newbie and just getting started. I purchased a 54 m-37 in fair shape to do a complete Rest/Mod 360 swap. I have collected some parts and found this board to be very helpful. So with that in mind I need a favor. My truck does not have the original radiator. It is similarly flange mounted but is too tall. I need a couple of quick pictures, and outside dimensions. Height, width, thickness, mounting flange locations. Thanks, 002
JimC
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Radiator Question

Post by JimC »

I'll try to get out to my hangar and take some photos and measurements tomorrow.
jimmy_stikx
SGT
SGT

Post by jimmy_stikx »

I measured mine when I thought I needed to replace mine, going to probably do so with the diesel repower coming. Anyways, here's my dimensions, 17 7/8"x 22 1/16"x 1 1/4". These could be a bit off, but should get you in the ballpark.
PVT
PVT

Post by 002 »

Thanks, Is that final measurement (1 1/4) from 1) the front to the flange? 2) the rear to the flange? 3) from outside of core to outside of core?
jimmy_stikx
SGT
SGT

Post by jimmy_stikx »

The last measurement is the overall thickness of the core area and lower tank. I don't have access to my M37 at the moment to measure the upper tank.
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

1 1/4 does not sounds right for core thickness. soudns more like toyota dimensions. I dont have one near by so cant veriify but has got to be twice that thickness
jimmy_stikx
SGT
SGT

Post by jimmy_stikx »

That's what I have written down, though with mine currently laid up 9 hours away I can't double check it. It was rather marginal for the desert though.
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

possibly not a stock radiator. most the rigs I have worked on these last years have been WCs and Power WAgons and the cores are around 3 inches thick. I think the M37 should be the same type of radiator. the top tanks are massive and the bottom tanks very large as well. I believe should have cast iron inlet and outlet.
jimmy_stikx
SGT
SGT

Post by jimmy_stikx »

I wouldn't be able to verify until January. It honestly could be a flange measurement. I'm about 90% sure it's the original radiator by the amount of rusticles on the inlet/outlets and the such.
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

I hope someone pipes in who actually has a truck or rad sitting in the garage! ;/) I wish I did.....
snowdad
SGT
SGT

Post by snowdad »

I have a couple of radiators out and can take a picture or two in the morning. Let me know if you need them and what angles. Can also place a tape measure in the photos if that will help
Phillip
PVT
PVT

Post by 002 »

That would be great. I need all dimensions. As stated before mine was NOT correct to the truck, infact they had cut a hole in the hood for the filler cap. I will probably be looking at an after market aluminum depending on my engine build. I was hoping to find a more mass produced stock reproduction for another application, that would fit.

So overall: height (top of filler to Bottom of tank), height (tank to tank), width (mount flange to mount flange), thickness (of tanks), location of flange (where on cores, middle? more front? more rear?)

Core Measurements: Height, width, thickness

Pictures with a tape would be great.

Thanks a bunch, 002
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Here is a picture of my radiator that I had rebuilt, sorry for no tape measure in the picture.

OAL Ht from top of filler neck to bottom of the bottom tank 25 1/4"
Ht top of top tank to bottom of the bottom tank 24 1/2"
Width Flange to flange to bolt centers 23 1/2" and OAL flange to outside 25"
Flange is flush with the back side of the core toward the engine.
Tank thickness (from front to back) Top 6 1/8" Bottom 3 5/8"
Core size HT 18 1/2" Width 21 11/16" Thickness 3 1/8"
Core offset is flush with the flange toward the engine.

Hope this helps,

Bert

1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
Brett
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Brett »

If you're looking at an aftermarket radiator, you should check out the thread on my truck.
http://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php ... tor#p27880

I'm running a universal aluminum radiator from Jegs. It was pretty cheap, and fits really well. It keeps my V8 cooled so well, I almost never use the electric fan.
I'll see if I can get a part # for you later.
Brett
PVT
PVT

Post by 002 »

Bert, Well that should be all the measurements I need. Thank you for taking time.
Brett, Was that Jegs Radiator specifically for a M or was it just a good fit produced for another make model. Although I know custom can be built to suit if you are willing to pay, I'd sure like to save the $ and get one that is semi-mass produced. A PART NUMBER would be fantastic.