Canadian Hood Info

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

rdwhite
PVT
PVT

Canadian Hood Info

Post by rdwhite »

I'm in the process of installing a 251 in my M37 with the Canadian radiator. Looking at a few of the posts on the web, it appears that the Canadian M37's had a modified hood to clear the offset radiator. Does anyone have specific information, or pictures of the modification? Thanks.
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Canadian Hood Info

Post by Jess »

Hood should be the same. Not sure what mod would be required. Any pictures of the area of concern? Charles at M-Series may be able to comment as he has worked on both US and CDN trucks.

Jess
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

as far as I know the hood is the same. the Canadian truck does not have a shroud that ties in the grill to the triangle pillars(?) that are attached to the rad support. instead it has two different sets of mirrored plates a D plate made of 16ga and a 2 x 6 1/2in chunk of 1/4in bar stock.

the hood on my 53 Canadian m37
Canadian triangle support
53 American m37 forward rad shroud
.............................. use it ...............
rdwhite
PVT
PVT

Post by rdwhite »

The pictures are great! Thanks for taking time to post. I've got the differences/modifications figured out. I should be good to go. Thanks again.
majorhitt
SGT
SGT

Post by majorhitt »

I have a 54 M37CDN, and this had me wondering. Is the hood different? There are several items that you could see that gives the M37CDN away. The more forward mounting holes for the motor, the exhaust pipe,and the radiator location. My M37CDN came with a civy carb. So I couldn't comment on the air cleaner or carb. Is there a difference there, and did I miss any? I'm just noting on what you could see by eye in the engine compartment.
rdwhite
PVT
PVT

Post by rdwhite »

From what I've been able to learn, the hood used on the CDN 37's was manufactured in the U.S. There is a difference in the interior sheet metal support at the front of the hood between the Canadian version the U.S. version. The difference being the clearance required the offset radiator used in the CDN's. Besides moving the engine mount forward, the only other modification needed was to add 4" to the exhaust head pipe to match it up with the muffler.