Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Hawk101
PVT
PVT

Canvas Case

Post by Hawk101 »

Hi,
Found this Maintenance/operators manual case, under my passenger seat, just wonder if there is a proper place for it to be in the truck/cab.
Or if an M37 would even have one? Any info would be appreciated.
Cheers :D
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Re: Canvas Case

Post by w30bob »

Hawk,

I brought this subject up awhile back.....I believe the consensus was that the case was supposed to stay at the unit, but some remembered them being in the truck in various locations. Do a search because my memory sucks. Just search on "maintenance case" and the thread is called "Where did the maintenance case go?"

regards,
bob
mike_l
SGT
SGT

Post by mike_l »

I missed the original discussion but these were not BII (Basic Issue Items) for the truck. The BII can be found in the ORD 7 manual and a photo is in the front of 9-840 (fig 16). These would likely have been put in by the using unit. The military authorizes unit commander to pretty much do whatever they want in regards to maintaining the equipment assigned to them. That's why you'll see variations from unit to unit on what they required in the trucks & where or what they bolted/welded on to them or even how they marked them also.

Anyway, as I recall from the USAF, these stayed with the equipment and contained the maintenance forms. I remember these with every piece of equipment on the flightline (except the aircraft which had binders of maintenance forms-don't get me started on the 'perfectly good airplane' phrase). We didn't use these in the units I was assigned to in the Army but rather stored our operator-level vehicle maintenance forms & TMs in a smaller case. As w30bob mentioned, most of the maintenance documents were at the unit. As with our smaller satchels, this case may have been used to put the required 'on-vehicle' documents (user-level maintenance forms, accident report forms, lube orders, TM, etc.) in so they weren't prone to damage and stayed organized (and easily inspected).

A good piece of provenance for your truck.
Mike
Marion, IN
1954 M37 W/OW
1953 M101
Indiana MVPA
M60TC
PFC
PFC

Post by M60TC »

I agree with Mike. The Army units that I was assigned to, all equipment had pamphlet Bags. In these bags you could find the 2404 forms, trip ticket (Dispatch), Log book, Level 10 Operators TM, and other related documents You could find these Bags hanging from a power generator to an air compressor. All vehicles such as M151, CUCV, Trucks, and even M60 Tanks had these Bags. Depending on the Vehicle or equipment these bags where bolted or snapped to frames or walls. On Trucks, many times these where bolted behind or near the operator's seat. We did have 2 different kinds of Pamphlet Bags, ones that had clips and the others with snaps and grommets holes for bolts. At the time the pamphlet bag was considered an inventory part of the vehicle but did not come with the equipment when it was issued, we had to order from Supply.

Don