Fender welt install help

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

Fender welt install help

Post by Gerry »

My truck didnt have the welting on and am trying to install new welting. Is this the correct way?
Thanks,
Gerry

53 M37
ken mcculloch
PVT
PVT

Re: Fender welt install help

Post by ken mcculloch »

OK, I "THINK" you have it a bit backwards. I "THINK" it should go like this based on your last picture shown above.
the notch should go over the arched edge of the side panels (on the outside of the panel) with the long side against the inside (towards engine compartment)

Then the edge that you have facing up would actually lay down onto the fender.

esentially, the rubber in the last picture you have shown would need to be fliped over, left to right... hope this makes sense. I have never posted pictures here so I am not sure how to do it.
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

ken mcculloch wrote: I have never posted pictures here so I am not sure how to do it.
RMS wrote:i just sent this as part of a PM to 52 m-42 and thought i should share because "if you don't have pics it didn't happen" :mrgreen:

pics are easy to post. first sign up to http://beta.photobucket.com/ upload pics from your desktop(photo bucket has a easy "drag and drop" feature)once the stupid adds have stopped go to "my library" hold the mouse pointer over the pick you want to post. you will see a little gear in the upper rite hand corner of the pic. put the mouse on it. a drop down menu will appear. click on "get media links" a box will appear with the header "share photo" left click on "IMG code" this will save the link to the clip board. tab over to the G741 place the curcer were you want the image to appear and right click on the text body and left click "Paste". it should look similar to this: [.IMG]http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p61 ... /oscar.gif[/IMG] witch will give you :Image

cheers
.............................. use it ...............
Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Gerry »

Ken
Thanks for the advice. Hopefully get a chance tomorrow to play with it.
Gerry

53 M37
Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Gerry »

Not sure I have this right. Can someone post a picture?
Thanks
Gerry

53 M37
ken mcculloch
PVT
PVT

Post by ken mcculloch »

Gerry,
Here are a few pictures I took to help try and explain. AGAIN, I am not 100% sure this is correct but it appears to be the only logical way to do this. Hopefully, someone else can post pictures of the welting installed to either confirm or falsify what I believe to be correct.

Part of the issue is that the long piece of welt does NOT attach to the fender. It actually attaches to the side panel with split rivets. The pictures show the only configuration that I could believe to be correct. My truck did not come with welt & I only received mine a few days ago & have not attempted to install it so this is my best guess.

Now, the short piece of welt (referred to as the filler strip?) DOES attach to the lower portion of the fender, again with the split rivets. I assume that you need to cut out portions of the side that attached to the fender where the welded nut are located. I also do NOT understand how to make the welting fit around the curved edge in the fender without the welt buckling. Again, I hope there is someone with more knowledge than I that will chime in.

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

Ummm...........I think you both have it wrong. Check out the pics below of an NOS side panel I have. The rubber ends are bent from storage, but I think you can see how it went on. If not maybe I can take some better pics. Hope this helps.

regards,
bob

DSC05150 by w30bob, on Flickr

. by w30bob, on Flickr

DSC05146 by w30bob, on Flickr

DSC05145 by w30bob, on Flickr
Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Gerry »

Bob,
Perfect pictures!!!
Thanks
Gerry

53 M37
ken mcculloch
PVT
PVT

Post by ken mcculloch »

Bob,

since I have not seen the welt ever installed in person, I am not doubting your pictures but I am confused. Is it possible for you to get a picture of the side panel placed on the fender to show how the welt looks at that point? It just seems odd that the welting was designed to fold in half between the fender & the side panel... or at least that is how it appears it would be based on your pictures.

Thanks, Ken
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

It does not fold in half, the upper lip you see there splays out on to the fender, my welts are pretty well hard and can't even bend back that position, maybe I should buy new ones one day??

MM
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
ken mcculloch
PVT
PVT

Post by ken mcculloch »

I fear that the 70's are starting to show the wear. I for the life of me cannot visualize how it should look. Actually I can visualize it but is seems really stupid to have used this shape of welting to achieve what I believe you are explaining. Can someone PLEASE send a picture showing the welt installed? Maybe an end view to see how the rubber is to lay?? Sorry to appear so slow but....

thanks, Ken
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Ken,

Sorry for the confusing pictures. I'll see if I can lay that panel on a fender and take a pic for you. But what MM is saying is right. Look at the second pic I posted. Rotate my hand 90 degrees to the right so the rubber between my thumb and index finger is horizontal and my thumb would then be the fender....upside down in this orientation, but the surface my thumb is pressing on sits on the flat top of the fender.....pushing the small "c" shaped piece of rubber hard into the side panel. It would be much easier to see if the ends of my rubber weren't twisted so badly.

regards,
bob
ken mcculloch
PVT
PVT

Post by ken mcculloch »

Bob,
perfect description.
Thanks for the info. I just went out and set the welting on the fender, squished it down and I can totally understand it now.

Thanks again
Ken
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Ken,

Awesome! Just another thought about the rubber welting.......I don't know if it's been discussed here or not, but on most trucks I've seen that have the original welting it seems to always squirt out (come loose) over time at the ends of the panel. That's because there's only one rivet on each end and it's easy for the end of the rubber to be moved around tearing it from those end rivets, as the rivets are not at the exact end of the panel, hence the twisting you see of the rubber in my pics. If it were me installing new welting I'd consider using a high quality double stick tape along the part of the rubber that's riveted to the panel. I'd do the whole length, but the ends are what need it most. 3M makes some amazing double stick tape used for automotive trim emblems and entire body panels. Once on it's not coming off.

Just a thought, as I hate seeing that rubber welting pull out over time. But I'm a little nuts, obviously. :mrgreen:

regards,
bob
ken mcculloch
PVT
PVT

Post by ken mcculloch »

Thanks Bob, good idea about the additional securing of the rubber. NOW, on to the next question... do you have any photos of how the rubber should look for the lower portion of the fenders. My guess is it is riveted to the lower fender, with cut-outs made to go around the welded nuts?

Would it be mounted like the picture describes??? I believe the rubber is actually backwards in the picture??

thanks, Ken